This Tres Leches Cake is a top notch Mexican dessert. It’s a moist cake soaked with 3 different milks and topped with a lightly sweetened whipped cream. It gets rave reviews anytime it’s served!
If you are looking for an easy cake to make that’s sure to impress this Tres Leches Cake is the one for you. It uses simple easy to find ingredients that makes a rich and moist cake soaked in 3 different milks.
And I love that it’s made in a 9×13 because it doesn’t require any fancy decorating skills and it’s perfect for taking to potlucks, picnics, or any get together!
FLOUR: I am using all purpose flour for this recipe because I wanted to keep the ingredients easy to find and ones you would have on hand in your pantry.
BUTTER: I always use unsalted butter unless otherwise noted.
EGGS: I opted to keep the recipe simple and chose not to separate the whites to whip them separately.
BAKING POWDER, SALT, SUGAR, AND VANILLA
EVAPORATED MILK, SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK, HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: These are combined and poured over the cake and is what give the cake its name.
HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM, POWDERED SUGAR, VANILLA: The ingredients to make the whipped topping. Make sure the cream is very cold so it whips up quicker!
HOW TO MAKE TRES LECHES CAKE:
CREAM BUTTER AND SUGAR: Start by creaming room temperature butter with the sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until it is light and fluffy. Decrease the speed and add the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Stir in the vanilla.
ADD FLOUR: Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl and mix just until evenly incorporated.
BAKE: Spread batter evenly in a greased and floured 9×13 baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
COOL AND TOP: Cool the cake for 10-15 minutes. Poke the cake all over with a fork or skewer then pour the 3 milks over the warm cake. Then let cool completely in the refrigerator before topping with the whipped topping.
This cake should be stored in the refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap, foil, or a lid. It can be stored for up to 3 days.
Yes, and if fact I recommend it. I think it tastes better after it has sat overnight. If you would like to serve with berries leave those separate until ready to serve.
Don’t be alarmed by how little batter there is in the pan before baking it. It’s normal and the amount of eggs will give the cake it’s volume.
TIPS FOR THE BEST TRES LECHES CAKE
- Be sure to use room temperature butter and eggs. This allows your ingredients to combine better.
- Allow a minimum of 6 hours to let the milks soak before topping with the whipped cream.
- Serve this cake cold. Can also top with fresh berries or a dusting of cinnamon.
- This cake is a very moist cake and I don’t recommend substituting with a boxed cake mix. The crumb is too light and the cake will be too soggy.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY DESSERTS?
- Oatmeal Cake
- No Churn Peach Ice Cream
- Lime Cheesecake Fluff
- S’more Cookie Bars
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Tres Leches Cake
- 1 cup (220g) sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) (113g) butter, room temperature
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1½ cups (215g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
THREE MILK SYRUP:
- 1 (12oz)(355ml) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14oz)(396g) can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (475ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- ⅓ cup (35g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9×13 baking pan; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly to combine. Add the vanilla extract. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix just until well incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Don't be alarmed by how little batter there is in the pan, this is normal. Bake for 20-25 mintures or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 10-15 minutes before pouring the 3 milk syrup over it.
THREE MILK SYRUP:
- In a liquid measuring cup combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and cream. Poke several holes in the cake with a fork or skewer and pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake. Refrigerate the cake at least 6 hours but best if overnight.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla using the whisk attachment. Whisk on low until it starts to thicken and then on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over cake.
- STORAGE: Store this cake covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Can serve topped with fresh berries or a dusting of cinnamon.