Bacon Mashed Potatoes are creamy, fluffy and full of flavor! Studded with crispy bacon, green onions and made ultra decadent with a little cream cheese.
Guys, these bacon mashed potatoes are where it’s at!! They are super simple but pack a lot of flavor and are the perfect side dish to these Swedish Meatballs if you are looking to change it up a bit. If you want to pair it with something a little more fancy and make it a date night meal serve them with this Filet Mignon with Red Wine Compound Butter, mmmm delish!!
My kids could eat mashed potatoes for almost every single meal and while I really enjoy them too, I like to change things up a bit. You know me, why have simple hearty mashed potatoes when there is bacon!!
Everything is better with bacon, right?! Well, ok maybe not everything but pretty close.
These don’t take any longer to make than regular potatoes either. Just fry your bacon while the potatoes are cooking, let the bacon cool a little then give them a quick chop to crumble them up. Then slice your green onions and you’re ready for those potatoes.
And I just throw everything together in the pot while I am mashing! You can use a standard potato masher or a hand mixer depending on how you like your potatoes. I live in a house divided, my husband prefers silky smooth potatoes while I like them a little bit lumpy. But I figure if I’m adding in bacon and green onions a little lumps won’t hurt anyone, right?!
I’m not lazy I just call them rustic. 🙂
On another note, I hope you guys can excuse my really sporadic posting schedule I have had over the past few months. It has just been a little crazy around here and while I thought things would calm down when school started it hasn’t. My two youngest children demand A LOT of attention, way more than any of my others did, so to say the least I am a little busy.
I am trying to make a better game plan though so I can balance everything out, so don’t worry I haven’t forgotten about you, just bear with me while I try to get a better schedule under my belt.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled washed and cut into 1" cubes
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish optional
- Cook potatoes in a pot of boiling lightly salted water until fork tender. (About 15-20 minutes) While potatoes are cooking fry bacon until crispy, cool slightly then crumble or chop, set aside.
- Drain potatoes, add in half of the bacon, green onions, cream cheese and 1/4 cup milk. Mash with potato masher or use a hand mixer until you reach desired consistency. If your potatoes seem a little stiff add in more milk. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with reserved bacon and chopped parsley, if desired.