This Classic Margarita is made with 5 simple ingredients. It’s refreshing, slightly tart, and perfect all year long!
I have been on a quest to make a good classic margarita that doesn’t use a premade mix. And friends I have finally made my favorite classic margarita!
It uses simple ingredients, it’s bright and slightly tart, and has a great lime flavor with a hint of orange.
And while this cocktail is great for the summer months it’s also perfect any time of the year. Having company over and serving tacos……be sure to serve a margarita!
What is the best tequila for margaritas?
It ultimately comes down to taste preference. Since there isn’t a lot of ingredients in a margarita the tequila can stand out.
I prefer to use a good quality blanco or silver tequila. But if you like the taste of gold, by all means, use it!
I know there are some of you looking at these pictures thinking that doesn’t look like a margarita. It looks too dark to be a classic margarita.
Well, it’s because it’s made with real ingredients versus a premade mix and I also added in a little fresh orange juice.
It made all the difference and brightened up the drink. It also allowed me to use a little less triple sec or cointreau which lightens it up on the calories ever so slightly.
So I am warning you…..this drink goes down easy! However, feel free to leave out the orange juice if you prefer.
Have a Taco Night and serve these Classic Margaritas with:
Cheese Enchiladas or Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken both are great choices or serve both and let your guests choose! Don’t forget the sides like Easy Spanish Rice or Quick and Easy Refried Beans. Also, you must serve Homemade Guacamole and Homemade Pico de Gallo which are perfect for chip dipping as well as toppings!
This Classic Margarita is made with 5 simple ingredients. It's refreshing, slightly tart, and perfect all year long!
- 4 ounces good quality tequila (recommended: Cazadores Blanco)
- 1 ounce Cointreau or good quality triple sec
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ounce agave
- extra limes and flaky salt for serving, if desired
If desired, run a lime around the rim of 2 glasses and dip each into a shallow dish of salt.
Pour tequila, cointreau, lime juice, orange juice, and agave into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. (I don't have a cocktail shaker so I use a mason jar. Works just as good) Shake vigorously to combine ingredients.
Fill your glasses with ice and pour margarita over the ice. Serve immediately.
- Feel free to leave out the agave or reduce the amount to 1/2 ounce for a tarter drink.
- I prefer to use a blanco or silver tequila but if you like gold feel free to use it. Just note that because there aren’t a lot of ingredients in this drink the tequila can stand out.
- Nutrition Facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.