This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is super easy and extra delicious! Filled with cheesy tortellini, tomatoes, herbs and a touch of cream!
Save it for later and PIN IT
I know, I know I am posting a soup recipe and it’s going to be a really warm day out! This weather is so unpredictable, though! One day it’s 70 degrees out and the next it’s 20 and snowing so it never hurts to be prepared, right?! That’s why I’m bringing you this awesome creamy tomato tortellini soup! I also have this Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Noodle Soup, Easy Taco Soup, or this Creamy Cajun Potato Soup. But if soup is not what you’re looking for but an easy pasta dish try this Slow Cooker Chili Mac or this Homemade Hamburger Helper.
This soup super easy and super yummy!! It’s completely homemade and no condensed cans of soup. I used crushed tomatoes to help make the tomato soup a smoother base and added in sun dried tomatoes that were packed in olive oil and herbs for some extra punch.
I added some fresh spinach to give a little extra boost of nutrition and color. You can leave it out if you prefer and it will still be a great soup. Of course, don’t forget the three cheese tortellini plus some extra grated Parmesan cheese, you know just for good measure. Then there is the touch of cream to make this soup extra luxurious.
My kiddos absolutely loved this soup. They finished their bowls and were all asking for more! That makes me one happy mom! We like to top this soup with a variety of toppings. The kids like goldfish crackers and extra cheese. I like some freshly chopped basil with a little sprinkle of Parmesan. Some nice crusty french bread or even garlic bread along served with this is another favorite of ours!
So put this easy and comforting creamy tomato tortellini soup in your back pocket because it’s a keeper! It’s like going back to your childhood only better!!
And at 26 weeks pregnant, I need easy (so plan on plenty of easy meals ahead) because my belly is getting rounder and I’m getting slower! 😉 Sorry I haven’t been keeping you very updated on my pregnancy this time. I never really know if you guys really want to read about it or not. Plus, I know I can be a pretty boring writer so I thought I would keep most of it off the blog and just give little snippets here and there. 🙂
Yields 6-8 servings
5 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes packed in oil and herbs
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried crushed rosemary, dried oregano, dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16-20 ounces cheese tortellini
- 5-6 ounces baby spinach (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Optional toppings:
- grated parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
- goldfish crackers
- In a large pot or dutch oven cook the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until softened. About 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sun dried tomatoes, broth, rosemary, oregano, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in the tortellini and cook for 5 minutes or until the tortellini are tender. Stir in the spinach, Parmesan cheese and cream. Serve immediately.