This One Pot BBQ Chicken and Rice is a quick and easy meal the whole family will love! Full of flavor, hearty and satisfying. Not to mention quick and easy too!!
Save it for later PIN IT
I am back with a one pot meal. This one pot bbq chicken and rice to be exact. You guys knew I couldn’t ignore my beloved one pot meals for too long, right??! I have quite a few of them on blog now like this One Pot Bacon Alfredo, Sheet Pan BBQ Meatballs Green Beans and Potatoes (a family favorite!), Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas, or this One Pot Chicken Florentine Pasta just to name a few. 🙂
Right up there with slow cooker meals one pot meals are my favorite to make because they are so easy, so quick and so satisfying.
I mean what’s not to love! Less dishes, less fuss, lots of flavor….best meal ever in my books!!
In this one pot dish I used chicken breasts, corn, bbq sauce ( I like Stub’s Sweet and Sticky), minute brown rice (which helps speed things up) then as an optional topping drizzled it with ranch. I just did it on a whim and it isn’t really necessary but it does add another layer of flavor.
The bbq sauce adds a nice subtle smokiness. Nothing overpowering so don’t worry. Just use a bbq sauce that you like and you’ll be fine. I added in a few other pantry staples like chopped green chilies, tomato sauce and minute brown rice. I like using minute rice because you can have a meal done in next to no time and I like brown rice for some added nutrition.
Then of course there is cheese. How can any meal be complete without a healthy sprinkling of cheese??? The cheese gets sprinkled on top at the end then cover the dish and let it melt into the dish to cheesy goodness.
Now for the toppings. I chose to top this dish off with some chopped fresh tomatoes, diced avocados, cilantro and of course that optional drizzle of ranch. Green onion and an extra drizzle of bbq sauce would also be really good!
So next time you are wondering what to make for dinner, have zero inspiration and just have a handful of ingredients make this one pot bbq chicken and rice. Your family will love it for sure!
One Pot BBQ Chicken and Rice
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Ranch dressing
- In a large skillet brown chicken and onion with olive oil over medium heat. When chicken is no longer pink (about 5-7 minutes; don't worry if it isn't cooked all the way through it will have more cooking time while the rice simmers) add in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, broth, corn, tomato sauce, chilies, bbq sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir occasionally while simmering. Remove from heat sprinkle with shredded cheese then replace top and allow cheese to melt. Top with desired toppings before serving.