This Homemade Hamburger Helper Stroganoff Recipe is a great weeknight meal! Hearty ground beef, comforting egg noodles, earthy mushrooms, and a creamy sauce — this is the ultimate comfort food. It’s quick, easy, filled with simple ingredients, and has NO condensed soup.
It’s no secret that food prices have increased tremendously. Are you looking for meals that don’t break the bank and use simple pantry staples? This stroganoff hamburger helper is just that!
Making a homecooked meal that is both delicious and inexpensive is a must in our house! That’s why I am so excited about this easy hamburger stroganoff.
Why You’ll Love This Hamburger Helper Stroganoff Recipe
- Healthier than boxed stroganoff Hamburger Helper
- It’s an easy one pot meal
- Cooks in 30 minutes
- Kid friendly
- Perfect for busy weeknights
- Made from scratch
Mushrooms: Use whatever fresh mushrooms you prefer. I like baby bella because it’s what is available at my grocery store and they are affordable. Please don’t substitute with canned mushrooms unless it’s a last resort. Browning fresh mushrooms adds so much flavor to this dish.
Lean ground beef: I like to use lean ground beef, but use whatever you have on hand. You may need to drain the grease after browning.
Beef broth: I like reduced sodium.
Uncooked egg noodles: You can also use another quick cooking noodle. (Something that doesn’t take longer than 10 minutes to cook).
Beef bouillon: I like Better than Bouillon brand
Dried parsley: Feel free to replace with fresh parsley. Use about 1 tablespoon.
Sour cream: Can use plain yogurt as well.
How to make homemade Hamburger Helper stroganoff
Step 1: Cook the onions & mushrooms
Add olive oil to a large skillet. Cook mushrooms and onions until soft and slightly browned.
Step 2: Brown ground beef
Brown the ground beef in the skillet until no longer pink.
Step 3: Add ingredients & cook
Mix in the flour to coat the beef. Pour in the broth, Worcestershire, beef bullion, parsley, and egg noodles. Stir, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the pasta is done. Stir on occasion so it doesn’t stick.
Step 4: Add sour cream & serve
Take the skillet off the heat and stir in the sour cream. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Stroganoff Hamburger Helper Tips
- Don’t overcook. If you overcook the pasta it will begin to break down and become mushy.
- It’s better fresh. This is best enjoyed shortly after cooking it. The leftovers aren’t the best as the noodles will continue to soak up the liquid and become a little mushy.
- Make it creamier. If you like the sauce to be a little creamier, up the amount of sour cream to 1 cup.
I recommend making this Hamburger Helper stroganoff recipe when you know there won’t be too many leftovers. It doesn’t age well in the fridge, but can be saved for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Typically, homemade Hamburger Helper stroganoff is made with egg noodles. You can swap them for macaroni or any other kind of noodle that you like. You’ll just need to make sure not to over or undercook them.
What Do You Serve With Easy Hamburger Stroganoff?
- Crusty bread
- Steamed veggie of choice
- Skillet Garlic Green Beans
- A simple side salad with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- or this Creamy Key Lime Fruit Salad
(The ranch dressing and fruit salad can be made ahead of time. Just leave the key lime dressing off the fruit until ready to serve.)
This Homemade Hamburger Helper Stroganoff is an easy meal! Made with hearty ground beef, egg noodles, earthy mushrooms, & creamy sauce.
- 8 ounces (230g) sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (500g) lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups (710ml) beef broth ( I like reduced sodium)
- 3 cups (150g) uncooked egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon (or 1 cube) (I like better than bouillon brand)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅔ cup (150g) sour cream (or more if you like it creamier)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet over medium heat cook the mushrooms and onion with the butter and olive oil until softened and mushrooms are lightly browned. Add the ground beef and garlic and cook until beef is no longer pink (or until it is mostly cooked, it will continue to cook as it simmers).
Add the flour and stir to coat. Add the broth, uncooked noodles, Worcestershire, beef bullion, and parsley. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Taste for salt and pepper and season accordingly.
- Nutrition facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.