This Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken is so easy! Chicken that is juicy, tender, and full of smokey, sweet, and tangy goodness!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Summer is finally here! My kids are out of school and I am ready for all the summery foods.
One thing I never quit using is my crockpot and I think I use it just as much during the summer as I do in the winter. And it makes some of the best pulled meats without all the babysitting.
This has become my favorite bbq pulled chicken recipe to date! It’s full of flavor and so easy to make. You can also decide whether to use a homemade bbq sauce or your favorite store bought version.
I have used both homemade and store bought and love them both. I like to use my homemade Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce for this recipe. And if you would rather buy one from the store look for a sweet one.
Can you overcook chicken in a crockpot?
Yes you actually can. Chicken is a more delicate meat than tough cuts of beef and can suffer if overcooked. It will be tough and dry instead of tender and juicy.
Not good if you ask me. So be sure you know how you slow cooker cooks because different models can vary a little and if you have an old crockpot it takes longer to heat up than the newer ones.
Also, please refrain from lifting the lid on you slow cooker. It releases all the built up steam and can add an extra 30 minutes to your cook time each time you lift the lid! Slow cookers were literally meant to “set it and forget it”.
What to serve with Crockpot BBQ Chicken?
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Buttermilk Cornbread
- Bacon Baked Beans (excuse the pictures, they are really old!)
- Your favorite potato chips
- Really any sides you would serve at a bbq will go great!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 4 pounds (1.8kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup (50g) packed brown sugar, light or dark will work
- 1½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to your liking)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (235ml) bbq sauce of choice (I like a sweet one)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place chicken in the bottom of a 6qt slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine the smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle over the chicken. Pour bbq sauce over the chicken.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Pour most of the liquid into a small saucepan. Mix together the cornstarch and a little water to make a slurry. Bring the cooking liquid to a boil and whisk in the cornstarch until thickened. Pour over the chicken and shred. Add in more bbq sauce if desired.
- Serve on buns or rolls.
- Leftovers freeze well. Place in a ziploc freezer bag and remove all air. Place in freezer for up to 3-4 months.
- Try this homemade Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce!
- Nutrition Facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.