This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is a wonderfully comforting soup created with everyday ingredients right in your slow cooker.
So, it is really, really, really cold outside. Like no way am I going out there for anything cold! And it’s windy and it snowed a little yesterday so it is definitely a soup day my friends!!
I am actually here in Kansas visiting family for Christmas, but the weather back home is colder yet so no matter what, it’s a soup day.
Soup is so comforting and warming which is why it is perfect for days like these!!!
And this chili is super simple and requires only everyday ingredients, probably ones you already have on hand. And making it in the slow cooker you can enjoy the wonderful smell all day long (if your at home 🙂 ) or come home to a home filled with the delicious smell of comforting food! What could be much better?!?!
So, tell me how did your Christmas go? Did you have company over or did you stay at home in comfy pj’s?
Christmas Eve was spent with my husbands family. It is a day filled with family, games and gifts. By the end of the day you are definitely ready for some comfy pj’s and bed. Usually, I don’t have my wrapping even started and I am up till midnight finishing, but this year I enlisted my husband as a helper and was able to actually go to bed at a decent hour!! Thanks honey! 🙂
Christmas Day we go to church first thing in the morning and as soon as we get home the kids are racing to the tree to open their gifts. In mere minutes the floor is buried in wrapping paper, kids are showing each other what they opened and discussing their plans for what they are going to do with their gifts. The rest of the day is spent playing with new toys, lounging around and packing for the trip to Kansas.
So, feel free to leave a comment and tell me you Christmas stories, I love hearing from you!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15 oz cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 4 oz cans chopped green chilies
- 1 15 oz can hominy, drained and pureed with a little chicken broth(optional)
- 1 jalapeno minced (remove ribs and seeds for less heat)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Toppings- sour cream avocado, cheddar, tortilla chips, green onion (optional)
- In a 6 quart slow cooker combine all ingredients. Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 5-6 hours. Shred chicken (you can do this right in the slow cooker if you want or remove, shred then put back into soup) Serve with optional toppings of choice.
*I add in the hominy to thicken the soup a little and it adds another layer of flavor. It is completely optional.
*Leftovers freeze well. Just cool the soup before freezing.