So Valentine’s Day is coming up this weekend! Yea! Normally when I think of Valentine’s day desserts I think of chocolate paired with strawberries or raspberries.
However, we have been having unusually warm spring like weather here in Colorado so I couldn’t help myself but make something well more spring like. So these strawberry shortcake cupcakes were born.
I used a shortcake base for the cupcake and made a nice strawberry buttercream frosting. Topped it off with a strawberry and some sprinkles.
I have a love hate relationship with sprinkles. They never go where I want them to and they scatter all over the counters and floors.
I could hear them> ting ttting ting ting. My kids where chasing them down just to eat them. They are so deprived.
I decided to add them last minute after I put the strawberry on so they of course they were sticking to the strawberry but rolling off the cupcake, so I guess partly my fault for not sprinkling while the frosting was still really wet.
I love the way sprinkles add that extra over the top touch to some things but is it really worth the hassle sometimes??? Oh well lessons learned. 🙂
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Combine all cupcake ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an electric or stand mixer on low for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl several times. Beat on high for 3 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. Spoon into cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- To prepare the frosting beat the butter in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Stir in the powdered sugar.
- In a small bowl mash the sliced strawberries and add to the butter mixture. Beat until the frosting is smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick beat in a little milk a few drops at a time. If the frosting is too thin beat in a small amount of powdered sugar.
- Frost the cupcakes when completely cooled.