These German Chocolate Cupcakes are a great change of pace. It uses a boxed cake mix that is jazzed up a bit and a homemade caramel coconut pecan frosting along with a rich chocolate frosting. YUM! What a treat!
I first saw these on a dessert blog called Your Cup Of Cake. I instantly fell in love with the way they looked. We all know I love chocolate and caramel anything so that made them even better.
I have had these in the back of my mind for quite some time. I just needed the perfect opportunity to make them.
We had our church fall festival a little while back and I thought this would be perfect. I didn’t want 24 cupcakes in the house just staring me in the face begging to be ate. I really don’t want to gain an obscene amount of weight during this pregnancy so I had to get rid of these!
That’s the problem with being a food blogger. All these super yummy treats just waiting to be ate and go straight to my thighs! #reallifeproblems
I also love, love, love to bake so that makes it even worse!!
So, anytime there is an event that is needs refreshments brought I am more than willing to provide. I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone– get my baking fix and save my thighs!!
German Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 box german chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Caramel Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened flake coconut
- 1 1/3 chopped pecans
- Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer combine all the cake ingredients. Beat on low for 30 seconds, just to combine then on high for 2 minutes. Using a scoop or spoon carefully distribute batter among the 24 cupcake liners. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- For the Caramel Coconut Pecan Frosting combine the sugar, milk, butter, vanilla and yolks in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium low heat for 10-12 minutes stirring frequently, until thick. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool completely
- For the Chocolate Frosting in a large bowl beat the butter until light in color and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla. If too thick add in a little milk. Add in the pinch of salt. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with your desired tip.
- Assembly- Put a large spoonful of caramel coconut frosting in the middle of the cupcake. Then pipe the chocolate frosting around the outside of the caramel coconut frosting.