Cashew Chicken is a take-out classic. This homemade version is fast, easy, and so much better! Tender chicken, tender crisp vegetables, and crunchy cashews coated in an addictive sauce!
Making homemade take-out really is just as fast as ordering it and once you’ve nailed a recipe you won’t want take-out again. Just keep a few Chinese staple ingredients in your pantry and you can make homemade take-out anytime!
Reasons to love this Cashew Chicken:
- It can be on your table in 20 minutes or less
- No hard to find ingredients- just a few Chinese staples
- It tastes so much better than take-out
- Homemade can also be a healthier alternative because you control how much oil, sodium, and sugar is in the recipe!
CHICKEN: I am using chicken breast for this recipe but you may also use thighs.
BELL PEPPER: Use any color you like!
CASHEWS: For an extra boost of flavor you can toast the cashews before starting the recipe.
GINGER AND GARLIC: Found in almost every Chinese dish
WATER, SOY SAUCE, HONEY, CORNSTARCH, SESAME OIL, AND CHILI PASTE: All used for the delicious sauce to coat the chicken
How to make Cashew Chicken:
This is a really simple and fast dish. I strongly recommend making the sauce first so it’s ready when you need it. Also, prep all your ingredients before you get started.
SAUCE: Start by whisking together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
CHICKEN: In a large skillet cook the chicken, bell pepper, ginger, and garlic over medium to medium high heat just until chicken is cooked through.
FINISHING THE DISH: Stir in the cashews, green onions, and the sauce. Cook until it just starts to thicken then remove from heat.
Other tasty dishes to try:
- 1½ pounds (680g) chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, large dice
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (125g) cashews
- 4 green onions, cut into ½" pieces
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (or more to your liking)
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Cook the chicken, pepper, ginger, and garlic until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in the cashews, green onion, and sauce. Cook just until the sauce starts to thicken then remove from heat.
- STORAGE: Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freezing is not recommended.
- This is a really simple and fast dish. I strongly recommend making the sauce first so it’s ready when you need it. Also, prep all your ingredients before you get started.
- For an extra boost of flavor toast the cashews before starting the recipe.