This rich and creamy Easy Mushroom Risotto recipe will become a staple! It’s made with Arborio rice, mushrooms, parmesan cheese, and a few other simple ingredients.
If you are looking for a super impressive side dish to go along with your fancy dinner then this Easy Mushroom Risotto is just for you! Now, don’t be intimidate just because I said impressive because this dish couldn’t be easier to make.
Reasons to love this Easy Mushroom Risotto:
- It is restaurant quality but so easy to make
- Pairs well with so many main dishes
- It’s hearty enough you could eat it as a main dish
- Uses simple easy to find ingredients to make delicious comfort food
MUSHROOMS: You can use any type of mushrooms you like. I like baby portabella for their flavor. A blend of mushrooms would also be very tasty!!
BROTH/STOCK: I chose to use vegetable broth to keep this vegetarian but chicken broth will also work great.
ONION AND GARLIC: Add more flavor to the risotto. Add more garlic if you like!
ARBORIO RICE: Nothing can be substituted for this type of rice, sorry!
WHITE WINE: Wine adds a nice depth of flavor. Choose a wine that you like to drink for this recipe. You can substitute with more broth but it will change the flavor.
HEAVY CREAM: Adds a little more creaminess as well as richness. It also helps to lighten the color of the dish. (If this is something that doesn’t matter to you, you can leave it out)
PARMESAN CHEESE and PARSLEY
How to make Easy Mushroom Risotto:
COOK THE VEGGIES: Start off by cooking the mushrooms and onion in 4 tablespoons of butter until the onions and mushrooms are soft and golden. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove this mixture and set aside.
COOKING THE RICE: Add the remaining butter to the pot and stir in the rice. Cook for 3 minutes or until the edges of the rice start to become translucent. Add the wine and cook stirring constantly until almost fully absorbed.
BROTH AND SIMMERING: Add the heated broth and reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed (16-18min) stirring twice during this time.
CHEESE: Stir in 1 cup of hot broth and stir gently until risotto becomes creamy. Remove from the heat and stir in the mushrooms, cheese, cream, and parsley.
No! The outer coating is where most of the starch is and when making risotto starch is good. It’s what makes this dish “creamy”.
It’s a classic Italian dish using Arborio rice cooked in broth and stirred constantly to release the starches and make the dish creamy. However, this recipe uses an easier method!
Add a little broth to the risotto and reheat gently on the stovetop. Renew the flavors with a little sprinkle of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon if needed.
What to serve with this easy side dish?
- Homemade Oven Roasted Rotisserie Chicken
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Stuffed Flank Steak
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
As mentioned earlier this is hearty enough it can be served as a main. Serve alongside a nice punchy salad and you have one comforting dinner!
More comforting dishes you may like:
- Chicken in Garlic Mushroom Cream Sauce
- One Pot Bacon Alfredo
- Homemade Vodka Sauce
- Cheese Ravioli in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all my latest updates!
This rich and creamy Easy Mushroom Risotto recipe will become a staple! It's made with Arborio rice, mushrooms, parmesan cheese, and a few other simple ingredients.
- 5 cups (1185ml) vegetable broth
- 1½ cups water
- 8 tablespoons (113g) butter, divided
- 1 pound (452g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (420g) Arborio rice
- 1 cup (235ml) white wine
- 1 cup (120g) grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream, optional
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Bring the broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover.
In a dutch oven or large heavy pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook until soft and golden. About 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Remove mixture from the pan and set aside.
Add remaining butter to the pot and the rice. Cook stirring constantly until the rice is translucent around the edges. Add the wine and cook stirring constantly until wine is almost fully absorbed. Stir in 5 cups of hot broth and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed (about 16-18 minutes) stirring twice during this process.
Add in 1 cup of hot broth and stir gently until risotto becomes creamy. Remove from heat and stir in the mushrooms, cheese, cream (if using), and parsley.
- If risotto needs “loosened” add in a little hot broth until desired consistency is reached. Risotto served at a restaurant is quite loose and doesn’t hold its shape when served. However, I prefer it to be slightly thicker.
- STORAGE: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat stir in a little broth and reheat gently on the stove. Reseason with salt and pepper if necessary.
- If you find your risotto a little bland add a good pinch of salt and a nice squeeze of fresh lemon.
- The color of your risotto will depend largely on your broth. I am using a vegetable broth in these photos so my risotto is darker. Also, how much fond is on the bottom of your pot after browning the mushrooms will give a darker color and also flavor.
17 thoughts on “Easy Mushroom Risotto”
Made this for thanksgiving. There was none left. It was soooooo good! Thank you so much for the recipe.
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment!! So glad you liked it!
Super easy and so delicious. A perfect fall comfort food!
Thank you very much!!
When do you add the mushrooms to the risotto?
Sorry about that! I fixed the recipe. Hope you enjoy!
This Risotto was great! Easy, creamy and delicious.
Thank you very much!!
So yummy and simple! Love the creaminess of this dish.
I was looking for something different and came across this recipe! So glad I tried it. It was delicious!
I love cooking with mushrooms in the springtime! Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks!
Hope you enjoy!
Creamy and delicious! I can’t wait to make this again!
Thanks! So glad you liked it!