This Chicken and Stuffing Casserole is made with simple everyday ingredients and is comfort food to the max. A simple homemade stuffing, creamy soup, and chicken thighs all baked for a simple yet delicious meal!
If you are looking for comfort food and also a meal that doesn’t require fancy ingredients this one is for you! It’s made completely from scratch uses a few simple ingredients and turns it into a delicious meal.
It’s a version of what I grew up eating. Sure it may take a little longer to prepare but it’s worth it. Instead of boxed stuffing I made my own and instead of the canned soup there is a homemade option. However, if you are really pressed for time just use the store bought canned soup.
ITALIAN OR FRENCH BREAD: Either will work just fine.
ONION, GARLIC, CELERY: A must for stuffing!!
POULTRY SEASONING, SALT, AND PEPPER: This is what seasons the stuffing.
CHICKEN THIGHS: I have not tested this with chicken breasts only thighs.
CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP: Use this homemade cream of chicken soup or your favorite store bought brand.
How to Make Chicken and Stuffing Casserole:
STUFFING: Start by drying the bread. Cut the bread into small 1 inch cubes and place on a baking sheet. Bake stirring occasionally until dry.
CHICKEN THIGHS: Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and brown in a skillet skin side down until crispy. Remove them and set aside.
VEGGIES: In the same skillet sauté the veggies in a little oil if needed until softened.
ASSEMBLY: Toss the dry bread cubes with the sautéed vegetables and poultry seasoning. Taste for salt and pepper. Drizzle with chicken broth and toss to combine. Place the chicken thighs into the stuffing. Top with cream of chicken soup. Bake until chicken has an internal temperature of 170*F.
Yes, make the stuffing and leave it in the skillet. Brown the chicken and place in a separate container. Refrigerate until ready to assemble. To assemble: place browned thighs in the stuffing and top with soup. Bake according to the recipe. May need a little extra time to bake.
Yes, cool the cooked dish completely and freeze for up to 3 months in a sealed freezer safe container. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Store cooled casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
What to serve with Chicken and Stuffing Casserole:
- Any steamed vegetable of choice
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Honey Garlic Roasted Carrots
- Any side salad
Looking for more comfort food recipes?
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
- Chicken Tamale Pie
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread
- 6 skin on bone in chicken thighs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1¼ cups (295ml) low sodium chicken broth/stock
- 1 (10.5oz)(298g) can cream of chicken soup or homemade cream of chicken soup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut bread into small 1 inch cubes and place on a baking sheet. Bake stirring occasionally for 45 minutes or until dry. Set aside.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and brown skin side down in a large skillet over medium heat until skin is brown and crispy (about 5 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan sautee the vegetables in a little oil if needed until softened. Toss with the bread cubes, poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with chicken broth and toss to combine.
- Place the chicken thighs into the stuffing and top with cream of chicken soup. Bake uncovered for 40-50 minutes or until chicken has an internal temperature of 170°F.