Chili Dog Tater Tot Casserole is a twist on a family favorite recipe. Chili, cheese, hot dogs, tater tots….need I say more?!?!
Chili Dog Tater Tot Casserole
I grew up eating tater tot casserole and it was a childhood favorite. My brother and I always cleaned our plates with this meal. My mom often put mixed vegetables in her tater tot casserole.
I guess it was a way to get us to eat more veggies.
Almost everyone has a recipe for the original tater tot casserole so I thought I would make a different version. Well, a completely different version!
I would probably call this total man food with it being full of beans, cheese and ground beef- but my kids devoured it as well. This is not what we eat on an everyday basis but when you are in need of some total comfort food that isn’t lacking in flavor (or calories) this casserole is a must.
I am not a fan of hot dogs since they are so full of the unknown so I used Applegate natural uncured beef hot dogs. They are free from all those harsh preservatives, nitrates and they are lower in fat too!
In my opinion, they taste way better too! This is not a sponsored post, I just like their products and use them often in our home.
I made a quick homemade chili for this dish but you could use a can of chili. However, I highly recommend making your own, it really doesn’t take that much longer and it tastes so much better!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15oz) can chili beans
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 4 hot dogs cut into small bites
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 (32oz) package tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish, set aside.
- CHILI: Brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain completely. Add in chili beans, tomato sauce, hot dogs and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- ASSEMBLY: Spoon chili into prepared dish. Sprinkle chopped onions on top then sprinkle 2 cups cheddar on top. Arrange tater tots on top of the cheddar (the whole package may not be used). Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Return to oven for 3-5 minutes just to melt the cheese.