Chili Cheese Tater Tot Casserole is a twist on a family favorite recipe. Homemade chili, cheese, hot dogs, tater tots….need I say more?!?!
I grew up eating tater tot casserole, and it was a childhood favorite. My brother and I always cleaned our plates with this meal. My mom often put mixed vegetables in her tater tot casserole.
I guess it was a way to get us to eat more veggies.
Almost everyone has a recipe for the original tater tot casserole so I thought I would make a different version. Well, a completely different version! This tater tot hot dog casserole is a fun twist!
Why You’ll Love Chili Cheese Tater Tot Casserole
- Fun and Delicious
- Kids and Adults Love It!
- Comfort Food
- 10 Ingredients
- Hot dog tater tot casserole is great for entertaining too!
How To Make Chili Tater Tot Casserole
Step 1: Prep the baking dish
Start by preheating the oven. Grease a baking dish and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the chili
Brown the ground beef and drain. Then mix in the chili beans, tomato sauce, hot dog slices, and seasonings. Stir well.
Step 3: Assemble
Place chili in the baking dish. Sprinkle with onions and cheese. Add tater tots and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with more cheese, then bake the tater tot hot dog casserole for an additional 3-5 minutes. Serve the chili dog casserole and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, in a pinch you can use canned chili for this chili dog casserole. You are going to have the best results making homemade chili, but it’s completely up to you. Honestly, this hot dog tater tot casserole is pretty amazing either way!
After the casserole has cooled down completely, add it to a food container. Add a tight fitting lid and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can reheat leftovers in the microwave or oven. For the microwave, place on a microwave safe plate and cover with a paper towel. Heat for 1-2 minutes, stir, and continue heating until hot.
For the oven, preheat to 350 degrees and warm the chili tater tot casserole for 10-15 minutes or until hot.
More Delicious Dinner Ideas:
Chili Dog Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15oz) can chili beans
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 4 hot dogs cut into small bites
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 (32oz) package tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish, set aside.
- CHILI: Brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain completely. Add in chili beans, tomato sauce, hot dogs and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- ASSEMBLY: Spoon chili into prepared dish. Sprinkle chopped onions on top then sprinkle 2 cups cheddar on top. Arrange tater tots on top of the cheddar (the whole package may not be used). Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Return to oven for 3-5 minutes just to melt the cheese.