This easy Chinese Lemon Chicken comes together in less than 30 minutes. The sticky, sweet, and sour sauce is so addicting and this version is made healthier! This is a classic Chinese takeout recipe, but can be easily made at home!
If you are in need of some new weeknight recipes that won’t break the bank or take too long to make this is a great one! It’s a quicker and healthier version of Chinese lemon chicken. We aren’t breading or frying the chicken which is what makes it so fast to make.
CHICKEN: I am using chicken breast for this recipe but chicken thighs will also work. Just be sure to cut the chicken into bite sized pieces so it cooks up quick and is easy to eat.
LEMON: Use fresh lemon only for this recipe.
GARLIC: I like to buy the garlic in the squeeze tube to save time when making chinese dishes but a minced garlic clove also works great.
GINGER: You can grate your own or buy it in a squeeze tube just like the garlic (makes it so easy!)
HOW TO MAKE CHINESE LEMON CHICKEN
PREP: I like to prepare all the ingredients BEFORE starting this recipe because it moves so fast. Cut all your chicken and mix all the sauce ingredients ahead of time.
COOK: Brown the chicken pieces until no longer pink. Stir in the sauce mixture and cook until thickened and you are ready to serve!
No, you can use chicken thighs.
Most restaurants use yellow food coloring and probably don’t add soy sauce to their sauce mixtures. I prefer to not use food coloring and I add the soy sauce for flavor and to balance the sweetness.
Completely cooled leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Hot cooked rice
- Steamed vegatbles of choice (broccoli, green beans, asparagus)
- Or a simple side salad
OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Chinese Lemon Chicken
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ⅔ cup (160ml) fresh lemon juice
- ⅔ cup (160ml) water
- ½ cup (120ml) honey
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2½ pounds (1.1kg) skinless boneless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- In a medium bowl combine the zest, lemon juice, water, honey, cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, sesame oil, and garlic; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown the chicken until no longer pink. Stir in sauce mixture and stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Serve over rice.
- STORAGE: Store cooled leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over hot cooked rice with your favortie steamed vegetable or side salad.