This Chocolate Peanut Butter Poke Cake is a chocolate cake soaked in peanut butter goodness! Then topped with a luscious chocolate whipped cream and peanut butter cups!
Save it for later PIN IT
This just might be my new favorite cake!! This chocolate peanut butter poke cake is out of this world good and very easy to make! In fact my oldest daughter helped make this for her own birthday!
I am using a store bought chocolate cake mix to help keep things easier. After the cake comes out of the oven it gets poked with a lot of holes. This was my daughters favorite part. At first she was a little confused by doing this and thought we were ruining the cake but I explained to her that it would be covered with the topping.
After the holes are poked you will drizzle the warm cake with a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, creamy peanut butter and melted chocolate chips. Top that with some homemade chocolate whipped cream (mmmmm it’s soooo hard not to eat that stuff by the spoonfuls!) then sprinkle on some chopped peanut butter cups and add a drizzle of hot fudge sauce.
Making the homemade chocolate whipped cream really isn’t that hard and I promise it will taste a million times better than a carton of whipped topping from the store.
I know I am using a cake mix for this instead of making a chocolate cake from scratch but we are taking this cake to the next level and no one will even know it’s a cake mix. Plus, it makes this cake super easy to make and something a beginner baker can tackle. But if you have a favorite homemade chocolate cake feel free to use that instead!
Poke cakes make great desserts to take to potlucks and parties because they can feed a crowd. And I know this will be one of the first desserts to go!! Yea, it’s just that good. It was hard for me to stop eating it straight from the pan. I know, I know—hey just keeping it real. My kiddos kept swiping their fingers through the chocolate whipped cream so by the time the birthday party was over the cake had seen better days. But it made me happy to know they really enjoyed it. 🙂
Chocolate Peanut Butter Poke Cake
- 1 box devil's food cake mix + the ingredients to make the cake
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peanut butter cups
- 1/4 cup hot fudge sauce warmed
- FOR THE CAKE: Prepare cake mix according to box directions and bake in a 9x13 pan. Just before the cake is done baking combine the sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter and chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring well after each until completely melted and smooth. Set aside. Remove cake from oven and with the end of a wooden spoon or something similar poke holes all over the top of the cake. Take reserved peanut butter mixture and pour all over the top of the cake. Let the cake cool completely.
- CHOCOLATE WHIPPED TOPPING: In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the whipping cream, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla. Using the whisk attachment beat on low speed until everything is combined then at high speed until you have stiff peaks. Spread over the cooled cake. Top with chopped peanut butter cups and drizzle with warmed hot fudge sauce. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.