Million Dollar Spaghetti is a baked spaghetti that has layers of meaty sauce, noodles, and a cheesy middle. It can be made in advance and it’s freezer friendly!
Whenever I am in need of some good ol’ comfort food I usually think of a casserole. And what can be more comforting than pasta and cheese! This is like classic spaghetti and meat sauce only better.
Reasons you will love this easy casserole
- It can feed the masses making it perfect for a crowd
- It can be made in advance
- It’s also freezer friendly!!
- Easy to find ingredients that won’t cost a fortune either
GROUND BEEF OR ITALIAN SAUSAGE
ONION, GREEN BELL PEPPER, SLICED MUSHROOMS, SLICED OLIVES: Use any vegetables you like in this casserole.
PASTA SAUCE: I am using 2 jars of my favorite store bought pasta sauce to help keep it simple. If you prefer your homemade sauce that is fine as well!
PARMESAN, RICOTTA, CREAM CHEESE: these cheeses along with the eggs make up the creamy cheesy middle layer, YUM!
SHREDDED MOZZARELLA: Fresh mozzarella would also be good!
How to make Million Dollar Spaghetti
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9×13 or larger casserole dish. Start boiling water for your pasta.
SAUCE: While the pasta is cooking brown the meat, onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are softened. Stir in the pasta sauce and olives. Stir in your drained pasta.
CHEESY MIDDLE: In a large bowl combine the ricotta, cream cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, and the 2 eggs.
ASSEMBLE: Place 1/2 of the noodle mixture in the bottom of your prepared pan. Top with the cheese mixture. Top with remaining noodle mixture. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and the remaining Parmesan cheese.
BAKE: Bake for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubble and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Feel free to change things up with this casserole to suit your family’s needs.
You can replace the ground beef or sausage with ground chicken or turkey if you prefer.
Use whatever vegetables you like. Spinach, shredded zucchini, whatever you have on hand.
Pasta can also be changed. Use penne, ziti, bowtie, or skip the pasta altogether and use spaghetti squash.
You can also replace the ricotta cheese with cottage cheese.
- A simple tossed salad
- Creamy Fruit Salad
- Cheese Breadsticks or garlic bread
- Your favorite steamed vegetable
A few other comforting recipes you may like:
Million Dollar Spaghetti
- 1 pound (455g) dry pasta
- 1 pound (500g) ground beef or Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ large bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces (230g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 (2.25oz) (63g) can sliced olives, drained
- 2 (24oz) (680g) jars pasta sauce
- 1¼ cups (140g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (15oz) (425g) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (8oz) (226g) package cream cheese, soft
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups (340g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13 or larger baking dish; set aside.
- Start by cooking your pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking in a large skillet cook the ground beef or sausage, onion, bell pepper, and sliced mushrooms until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are softened. Stir in the olives and pasta sauce. Stir in the drained pasta.
- In a large bowl combine 1 cup Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, and eggs. Place ½ of the pasta mixture in prepared pan. Top with cheese mixture. Top with remaining pasta mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- MAKE AHEAD: You can assemble this casserole the day before. Pull it from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before baking. May need to bake longer.
- FREEZER FRIENDLY: You can freeze the assembled casserole or baked and cooled casserole for up to 3 months. Cover well with plastic wrap and foil before freezing. Thaw completely before baking or reheating.
- SUBSTITUTIONS: Use any kind of pasta you like. Replace the ricotta cheese with cottage cheese if you prefer. Use any vegetable you have on hand. Use ground chicken or turkey if you prefer.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: