Happy Easter a day early! I bring you this mushroom and asparagus strata to make for breakfast tomorrow morning. As if you don’t already have your menu planned out.
I thought this would be a great spring time breakfast using asparagus since they are in season right now. You can also add sausage or ham to this and it would be great!
You guys– Wal-Mart and I are not friends right now! Honestly, I am not sure why I shop there some days. The Easter candy isle was like a war zone.
Moms were pulling hair, crashing into each other, shouting obscene words and for what???? A poor defenseless chocolate rabbit on the shelf with no hole to hide in.
There were so many people shopping in those tiny little isles!! But honestly it’s not Wal-Marts fault. It’s mine for putting things off to the last minute (as I usually do).
But learning from the past buying that candy early always means I have to buy it again. And the funny part is I am not the one who ate it which leaves only one other person who knew where I hid the stash and he seems to know nothing about the disappearance. Love you honey but I know it’s you!
Well, I hope your family has a safe and blessed Easter!
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 french loaf cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus cut into 1" pieces
- 9 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Melt butter in skillet and add in mushrooms and onions. Cook until lightly browned and soft.
- Lightly grease a 13x9" baking dish and put in the cubed bread. Sprinkle the mushrooms, onions and asparagus over the bread.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs,milk and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the bread and vegetables. Sprinkle with cheddar.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean
- May also allow to refrigerate overnight. Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking.