This Bacon, Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Casserole is hearty and so easy to put together. It’s perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast, a special brunch with friends, or a fun breakfast for dinner night!
Why I Love This Bacon and Vegetable Breakfast Casserole
Lately, I’ve been working on some easy-to-prepare meals that are BIG on flavor, LOW on effort, and SURE to impress. That’s how I wound up whipping together this delicious combination of foods to create the Bacon, Mushroom, and Spinach Breakfast Casserole!
This dish is loaded with bacon and sauteed mushrooms to create a hearty and filling casserole, and it’s all surrounded by a bed of fluffy eggs! I also threw in some chopped spinach for some nice color, and don’t worry, it isn’t overpowering at all so you get the health benefits of the vegetable without feeling like you’re really eating it.
That’s one of the reasons it’s become my family’s favorite casserole! It’s rich and decadent enough for the adults (you’re sure to impress your brunch guests!), but it’s delicious enough for the kids to want to gobble it up too!
This casserole would make a great holiday morning breakfast because of the ease (and smell!), or why not make it for dinner? My family and I love a breakfast-for-dinner night, but we call it Brinner!
I know some of you may be hesitant to eat a breakfast casserole for dinner, but trust me on this and give it a try! You won’t be disappointed!
Okay, let’s start off with the base of this casserole which is the eggs! You’re going to need plenty of eggs and milk to create the fluffy mixture, and then the fillings are where things get fun!
- Thick cut bacon
- Frozen hash browns
- …and CHEESE, of course! You’ll need both swiss and grated parmesan
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 1 ½ quart baking dish. Set aside.
Step 2: Cook Bacon and Mushroom Mixture
In a large skillet, cook your bacon over medium to medium-low heat until it’s crispy. Drain the bacon on a paper towel, and drain all but 2 tablespoons of grease from your skillet. Add in the mushrooms and onions, then cook for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Remove this mushroom mixture from heat.
Step 3: Combine Mixture with Eggs and Milk
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, and then add in the cooked and crumbled bacon, hash browns, spinach, cheeses, and mushroom mixture. Stir to combine.
Step 4: Bake
Carefully pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, or until the center is set and no longer liquidy.
Variations and Serving Suggestions
- Add any other veggies you like! I think broccoli would be great in here, you could even substitute the bacon for sausage if you’d like.
- If you’d like to make this casserole vegetarian, you can omit the bacon and bacon grease and just do veggies. Otherwise, you can always use a vegetarian meat substitute.
- I’d recommend serving this casserole with a side of fresh fruit! The sweetness of the fruit pairs delightfully with the salty and savory flavors of the casserole.
Hungry for More?
And here are a few more related recipes I think you’ll love!
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Sunday Breakfast Casserole
- Leftover Thanksgiving Casserole
Don’t forget to leave a star rating and review down below so I know how you liked this recipe!
Bacon, Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Casserole
- 6 strips thick cut bacon
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 cup roughly chopped spinach
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook bacon until crispy over medium to medium low heat. Drain bacon on paper towel. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and add in the mushrooms and onion. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and milk. Add in the cooked and crumbled bacon, hash browns, spinach, cheeses and mushroom mixture. Stir to combine. Carefully pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is set and no longer liquidy.