Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken is tender, juicy, and cooked slowly to give you an explosion of flavor. This Mexican chicken recipe is a great base to use for tacos, enchiladas, nachos, burritos, salads, or just serve it over rice.
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
This crockpot Mexican chicken is one of those recipes you just need in your life.
It has all sorts of uses and the sky is the limit! With the help of our handy dandy crockpot, you can make this Mexican chicken recipe with minimal effort!!
Just dump everything in, walk away and you will come back to succulent chicken waiting to be shredded and used for all kinds of recipes!
Why You’ll Love This Mexican Chicken Recipe
- Incredible flavor
- Set it and forget
- 5 minute prep
- Easy to double or triple
- Family friendly
- Can be made ahead of time
How To Make Mexican Crockpot Chicken
Step 1: Add ingredients to the slow cooker
Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker, then top with garlic, onions, salsa, green chilies, and seasonings.
Step 2: Cook
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Step 3: Shred and Serve
Shred the chicken directly in the slow cooker or remove it to shred. Take 2 forks or some meat claws and shred to the desired texture. Let sit in the juice for 15-20 minutes, serve, and enjoy!
Crockpot Mexican Chicken Tips
- Shred right in the crockpot. I just shred the chicken right in the crockpot because I don’t like to dirty extra dishes! 🙂 It saves a step and cleanup is even easier.
- Use the liquid in the slow cooker. That liquid is what makes this Mexican chicken recipe so darn good. So it’s important after you shred it to add it back to the juices. Plus, it keeps the crockpot Mexican chicken extra juicy.
- Don’t cook on high. I know it’s tempting if you are in a hurry to cook the chicken on high, but it will become dry or mushy.
- Adjust the seasonings. Feel free to use whatever seasonings and spices you enjoy.
- Add lime wedges and cilantro. For garnishing and an added burst of flavor, serve with fresh lime wedges and chopped cilantro.
This Mexican crockpot chicken will last up to 4 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer. Be sure to let it cool down all the way, then place it in a sealed container. Place in the fridge or freezer and warm up before serving.
I find the easiest way to heat up this slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken is by placing it in a pan on the stovetop with some chicken broth or some salsa. The amount you add is going to depend on how much chicken you are reheating. I recommend starting with 1/4 cup and adding more if needed. The broth and salsa will both work to prevent the chicken from drying out. Cook it over low heat until it’s hot all the way through.
Ways To Use Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Tacos: serve slow cooker Mexican chicken in hard or soft shells, corn or flour, and top with all your favorite toppings. We like soft shells the best and we like both flour and corn. We usually top this with avocado, tomato, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar, and sour cream. But pico de gallo and guacamole would be great too.
- Enchiladas: this is a great base for enchilada recipes because there is so much flavor going on with the meat. Just toss it with your favorite brand of enchilada sauce and you are ready to assemble your fabulous enchiladas!
- Burritos, Taco soup, Enchilada soup, and it’s great in quesadillas!! I feel quesadillas are my life saver sometimes!! I love it when I have some of this meat leftover in the fridge when I don’t know what to make for supper. Sometimes I will even add a can of pinto, black, or refried beans to the chicken if I need to stretch it a little further. Then just add to some tortillas and toast until golden in a skillet. We top these like we do our tacos.
- You can also serve this Mexican crockpot chicken over plain white or brown rice or better yet cilantro lime rice or Spanish rice. So good and so many options!!
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (236ml) of your favorite salsa
- 1 (4 oz) (113g) can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Top with all of the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. I don’t recommend cooking this on high or for longer than 6 hours as the chicken can overcook and become dry or mushy.
- You may remove the chicken from the crock pot or leave it in and shred it in there. Use as much or as little juice as you desire. I like to use all of the juice and cook the shredded chicken in the juice for about 15-20 minutes so it can soak up more flavor. If there is a lot of liquid drain some off.
- Serve or use as desired.
- The onion powder and garlic powder are optional but add more flavor.
- FREEZER FRIENDLY: Freeze in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and use as desired.