This Easy Chicken Stroganoff can be on your table in 30 minutes making it a perfect busy night meal! It’s made with no canned soups and it’s full of flavor!
Easy and flavorful weeknight meal!
I thought I would post my Chicken Stroganoff which is a spin off of my Ground Beef Stroganoff. They are both similar but yet different.
This is another one of those recipes I have been making FOREVER and not sure why I haven’t posted it yet.
When I posted the ground beef stroganoff I instantly knew this had to follow.
How to make chicken stroganoff
- I am using chicken breast just because it’s easy to slice and cook up quickly. I have also made this with chicken thighs as well.
- Start by browning the chicken, onions, and mushrooms. Try to get the mushrooms nicely browned because it will add a lot of flavor and color to the gravy.
- Stir in the garlic and flour and cook for 1 minute. This eliminates that raw flour taste. Whisk in the broth and white wine and scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. (This is where all the flavor is at!!)
- Stir in the Worcestershire and mustard and simmer on low until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Now decisions on what to serve this over. Traditionally stroganoff is served beside fried shoestring potatoes or over mashed potatoes (and this happens to be my favorite way) but here in America, it’s often served over egg noodles.
- Both are very good and you can’t go wrong with either choice!
What is stroganoff sauce?
Stroganoff sauce is a Russian sauce made from pieces of browned meat (normally beef) and served in a creamy sauce made with sour cream.
It is a very old dish dating back to the 19th century and now has many variations of the recipe throughout the world.
As I mentioned previously it is typically served over mashed potatoes and occasionally rice and not egg noodles as we typically see it.
I have also read that it was served alongside fried shoestring potatoes which is a traditional Russian side.
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Any simple side salad
- Any steamed veggie
- Easy Rice Pilaf
- Simple Roasted Green Beans
- Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
Looking for other quick weeknight meals?
- Ground Beef Stroganoff (Hamburger)
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Spicy Chicken Tacos
- One Pot Cajun Chicken Alfredo
Easy Chicken Stroganoff
- 1 pound (500g) boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces (225g) sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (30g) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60ml) white wine (see notes)
- 2 cups (475ml) chicken broth or stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (240ml) sour cream (regular or reduced fat is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet brown the chicken pieces, onion, and mushrooms until tender and some color has developed on the mushrooms. Stir in garlic then stir in the flour and cook for at least 1 minute.
- Stir in white wine and chicken broth scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly. Serve over hot cooked egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
- You can leave out the white wine if you prefer. If you leave it out up the dijon mustard to 1 tablespoon.
- Nutrition Facts: Nutrition was calculated using low sodium chicken broth and regular sour cream. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.