This Ground Beef Stroganoff can be on your table in 30 minutes, making it a wonderful weeknight meal! Plus, it’s completely homemade with no condensed soup! Serve on its own or over yummy mashed potatoes.
Hamburger Stroganoff Skillet
I’m not sure why it has taken me this long to post this recipe for ground beef stroganoff. I have been making this since my college days and I still make it for my family.
It’s a wonderfully hearty meal that doesn’t take long to make. Plus, it’s easy on the wallet!
In my house, we like to eat it served over mashed potatoes the best. Did you know that is the traditional way it is eaten in Russia? I always thought it was over egg noodles, but I was mistaken!
You can certainly enjoy this hamburger stroganoff recipe over egg noodles if you like (check out this recipe if egg noodles are more your thing), and rice is also a great option. It really depends on what I have in my pantry, which is usually potatoes.
Honestly, you could just eat this by the spoonful…it’s that good.
Why You’ll Love This Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Perfect for busy at-home chefs
- Uses easy-to-find ingredients
- Bursting with flavor
- Hearty and comforting
Key Ingredients to Make Beef Stroganoff with Hamburger
- GROUND BEEF – You can use whatever kind of ground beef you usually buy at the supermarket.
- ONION AND GARLIC – For added savory flavor!
- MUSHROOMS – Earthy and almost meaty in taste and texture, the mushrooms pair perfectly with the other ingredients.
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR – To thicken the consistency of your hamburger beef stroganoff recipe.
- BRANDY – I use brandy in this beef stroganoff with hamburger recipe, but you could replace it with whiskey/bourbon or leave it out if you prefer. I will say, though — it’s what gives this dish its flavor (the alcohol content burns off) and it’s not off-putting at all. My kids love it, and I have a couple that can be pretty picky.
- BEEF BROTH – You can also use beef stock.
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE – I love its umami flavor!
- DIJON MUSTARD – For a bit of kick. As a note, if you do want to skip the alcohol, use an extra tablespoon of Dijon to add a little more flavor.
- SOUR CREAM – Creamy and tangy, sour cream works so well in this dish! You can also feel free to add even more if you’d like.
- SALT AND PEPPER – Both to taste.
Instructions to Make This Hamburger Beef Stroganoff Recipe
BROWN THE GROUND BEEF: Add the ground beef, onion, and mushrooms to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the beef is browned and the mushrooms are tender, add the garlic and then stir in the flour. Let it cook for at least 1 minute.
ADD THE LIQUIDS: Stir in the brandy (if using) and beef broth, scraping up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add the Worcestershire sauce and Dijon, then simmer until the mixture thickens.
INCORPORATE THE SOUR CREAM: Remove the hamburger stroganoff skillet from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Yes, you can! Ground beef is the most commonly used meat, but you could also use ground turkey, ground chicken, or even diced beef or pork. You may have to adjust the cooking times — just something to be aware of when switching up the meat.
We are total sour cream fanatics in my house, but if you’re not, you can use something else. Greek yogurt, heavy cream, or a combination of milk and cornstarch are all great substitution options for my beef stroganoff with hamburger recipe.
Absolutely — in fact, this hamburger beef stroganoff recipe tastes even better the day after making it! The flavors have a chance to really meld together, and the results are fantastic. You can make it up to 48 hours in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to eat, then reheat in a skillet on the stovetop.
Make this hamburger stroganoff skillet even tastier by incorporating some extra veggies. Bell peppers, peas, zucchini, and carrots would all work. You can also feel free to use several different types of mushrooms instead of just one!
What to Serve with Ground Beef Stroganoff
- A simple side salad
- Bread and butter
- Simple Roasted Green Beans
- Or, any steamed veggie of choice
- Your choice of egg noodles, rice, or garlic mashed potatoes
- Don’t forget dessert… I love this Strawberry Cheesecake Fluff!
More Skillet Recipes To Try
- Cheeseburger Pasta Skillet (Hamburger Helper)
- Skillet Lasagna Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet
- Skillet Beef Pot Pie
Thanks so much for reading! Let me know what you think about this hamburger stroganoff skillet!
Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 lb (500g) ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (8oz)(226g) sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (30g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy (see notes)
- 2 cups (475ml) beef broth or stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup (240ml) sour cream (regular or reduced fat is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef, onion, and mushrooms until tender and some color has developed on the mushrooms. Stir in garlic then stir in the flour and cook for at least 1 minute.
- Stir in brandy and beef broth scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly. Serve over hot cooked egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
- You can substitute the brandy for whiskey/bourbon or leave it out. If you leave it out up the dijon mustard to 1 tablespoon.
- Nutrition Facts: Nutrition was calculated using low sodium beef broth and regular sour cream. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate.