This Creamy Tuscan Chicken Recipe is an easy weeknight meal that can be made in 30 minutes! Enjoy this low carb chicken dinner with a side salad, or serve over pasta for the whole family!
*Originally published August 2014, recipe, text, and photos updated.*
Creamy Tuscan Chicken Recipe
If you’ve ever ordered the Tuscan Chicken from Olive Garden and fell in love, then you will love this dish!
I made some changes because that is just how I do things, but it is still super flavorful and definitely comfort food! This Tuscan chicken skillet is one pot dish that will leave you begging for the next bite!
You can enjoy this creamy Italian chicken as is for a low carb meal, or serve it over pasta to feed your whole family.
Why You’ll Love Tuscan Chicken Skillet
- Simple 30 Minute meal
- Delicious Olive Garden copycat recipe
- Basic ingredients
- The entire family will love it
- Only 9 ingredients
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken: I used chicken breasts for this Tuscan chicken recipe, but boneless, skinless chicken thighs would work great too. If your chicken breasts are really thick, cut them in half horizontally to make them thinner. This way, they will cook much faster.
- Garlic and Onion: A must for any great dish because they add so much flavor!
- Sundried tomatoes: These are packed in olive oil and have a lot of flavor. They also come with herbs or without. I have used both and they are tasty either way. You can find them in the grocery store in the produce section or the canned vegetable aisle.
- Cream: I know, I know, it’s a bit indulgent but so good!! If you would rather, you can substitute with half and half or even whole milk. It will, however, change the sauce slightly. It will be a little less rich and a little thinner.
- Spinach: I add this at the very end of cooking since spinach wilts very quickly. You can also substitute with baby kale.
- Pesto and Parmesan cheese: Both of these add so much flavor, and the cheese helps thicken the sauce. I do prefer to use a homemade pesto over store bought versions. It tastes so much better!
Tuscan Chicken Recipe Directions
BROWN CHICKEN: Add chicken to a hot skillet with olive oil. Heat until cooked all the way through and set aside.
PREPARE SAUCE: Cook the onions in the skillet until soft. Then, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the heavy cream, cheese, sundried tomatoes, and pesto. Simmer and stir in spinach.
ADD CHICKEN: Place the chicken back into the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days. After the Tuscan chicken skillet cools down, place it in a sealed container.
I find it heats better in a skillet over low-medium heat. Heat it slowly and stir often. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream to thin it back out.
Feel free to add in whatever you like. Mushrooms, asparagus, and pasta are some of our favorite additions. You can also sprinkle in a few red pepper flakes to boost the flavor even more.
Yes, it’s fine to make sun dried tomato chicken using chicken thighs. Just go for boneless and skinless so you aren’t trying to eat around the bones.
This Creamy Tuscan Chicken Recipe is an easy weeknight meal that can be made in 30 minutes! Enjoy this low carb chicken dinner with a side salad or serve over pasta for the whole family!
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half horizontally to make them thinner
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (235 ml) heavy cream, half and half OR whole milk
- ½ cup (60g) grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (80g) sundried tomatoes
- 2-4 tablespoons pesto
- 8 ounces (215g) baby spinach
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken breasts on each side until no longer pink in center and juices run clear (about 10 minutes). Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Add onion and cook just until soft (add a little more oil if needed). Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in cream, cheese, sundried tomatoes, and pesto. Bring to a simmer and stir in spinach.
Return chicken to skillet and cook for 1 minute to reheat chicken.
- Nutrition Facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate. Nutrition calculated using heavy cream and 4 tablespoons pesto.
What to serve with Creamy Tuscan Chicken: