Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats are going to be your new favorite twist on a classic treat! Peanut butter flavored Rice Krispies, studded with mini peanut butter cups, and topped with a peanut butter chocolate topping! What’s not to love?!
Why You’ll Love Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispies
This particular recipe marries the fluffy and gooey marshmallow goodness of the classic Rice Krispie, with the life-changing addition of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups!
These Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispies are soft and chewy, rich in peanut butter flavor, studded with mini peanut butter cups, and topped with a mixture of smooth and creamy peanut butter and chocolate. Just imagine that gentle crunch and sweet chocolate coating melting in your mouth!
Consider yourself warned – you may become addicted! After you make these for the first time, please take the time to let me know how you and your family enjoyed them (and don’t blame me if your kids beg you to make these weekly).
The main piece of the puzzle when making Rice Krispie treats is the marshmallows. That sweet little morsel has the power to make your treats chewy and gooey, or hard and tough! Obviously, we want chewy and gooey deliciousness, so here are a couple of tips:
- Always use fresh marshmallows. You’ll want the mini marshmallows to be as soft as possible because if they’re hard or stale they’ll make your treats tough to chew.
- Do not over-melt your marshmallows and butter together or the mixture will harden! Heat them until they’re just combined and then remove them from the stovetop.
Now that we have the marshmallows covered, let’s dive into the rest of our ingredients!
Rice Krispie Treat Base
- Miniature marshmallows
- Rice Krispies
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Vanilla extract
- Mini peanut butter cups
Creamy Peanut Butter Chocolate Topping
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Creamy Peanut Butter
Step By Step
Step 1: Prep Your Baking Pan
Use foil to line a 9×9 baking pan if you want super thick treats or a 9×13 pan for more normally sized treats. Allow for extra foil for handles so it’s easier to remove the treats from the pan. Grease the bottom and sides with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
Step 2: Make Your Rice Krispie Base
In a large pot, melt butter over medium to low heat. Stir in the marshmallows and continue stirring until almost all the marshmallows are melted. Remove the mixture from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla. Fold in the cereal and then the peanut butter cups.
Step 3: Spoon Into Pan
Spoon the mixture into your prepared pan, but be sure not to press it too hard. If it’s packed too compactly it will be too hard to chew.
Step 4: Make the Peanut Butter Chocolate Topping
In a medium microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter together. Microwave in 15-30 second intervals, stirring after each until it’s fully melted. Pour the topping over the cereal and spread it into an even layer. Allow everything to cool completely before cutting it into bars.
You can store them covered at room temperature for a few days before they start to harden, or you can keep them in the refrigerator for a few days longer. If you want to go crazy and freeze them, just be sure you use an air-tight container and freeze them once they’re cut. If not, you’ll have a heck of a time slicing them up!
Of course! If you’re into different flavor combos, go ahead and give them a try. One I’ll probably try next is salted caramel. Imagine drizzling warm caramel over some chewy Rice Krispie treats! YUM!
Hungry for More?
And here are a few more related recipes I think you’ll love!
- Homemade Chewy Brownies
- S’more Cookie Bars
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Poke Cake
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cheesecake
Don’t forget to leave a star rating and review down below so I know how you liked this recipe!
Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispie Treat Base:
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 10 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 8 oz package mini peanut butter cups
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- RICE KRISPIE TREAT BASE: Line a 9×9 (super thick treats) or 9×13 (thinner more normal sized treats) baking pan with foil allowing extra for handles. This way it is easier to remove the treats from the pan. Grease the bottom and sides of the pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium low to low heat. Stir in marshmallows and continue stirring until almost all the marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla. Stir in the cereal then the peanut butter cups.
- Spoon into prepared pan and gently press into pan. Don’t press down to hard or they will be too compact and hard to chew.
- PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE TOPPING: In a medium microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter together. Microwave in 15-30 second intervals stirring after each until fully melted. Pour over cereal and spread into an even layer. Cool completely before cutting into bars.