These St. Patrick’s Day Dirt and Worm Cups are a fun yet simple dessert you can make with your kids!
I’m back, did you miss me?? I missed you guys! I want to thank everyone for being patient with me while I took a little time away from the blog to spend with my new little one. It was actually really nice and sorta hard to return to normal life this week.
We were very fortunate to have numerous friends bring us meals and my mother-in-law took the kids to and from school the whole week. So, I basically did nothing but cuddle with my baby and the other kiddos. I played catch up on laundry this weekend and now I am back into the swing of things.
I remember eating dirt and worms as a kid. (not actual dirt and worms 🙂 ) I remember my grandma bringing it to church potlucks in a big ice cream bucket. I’m pretty sure every kid there was “digging” for worms, including me!
So, I was trying to think of a way to make this dessert fun for St. Patrick’s Day. And what flavors do I think of for St. Patrick’s Day?? Mint and chocolate. I kept the chocolate pudding but used mint oreos and made a mint whipped cream layer. I used green food coloring in the whipped cream layer which is totally optional. I then topped it with crushed mint oreos and a gummy worm, just like the traditional dirt and worms.
I also decided to make individual dessert cups. You can still do this the traditional way and use a big bowl, trifle bowl or ice cream bucket 🙂 . I thought the cups would be a little easier to pass out because when it’s dessert time no one wants to wait their turn in line! So, however you decide to make this, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
St. Patrick's Day Dirt and Worm Cups
- 1 3.9 oz package chocolate pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 8-10 drops green food coloring, optional
- 15 mint oreos (finely crushed); divided
- 8 gummy worms
- 8 9 oz clear plastic cups
- PUDDING: In a large bowl beat the pudding mix and milk together for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- WHIPPED CREAM: In a large bowl or stand mixer beat the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold 2 1/2 cups into the chocolate pudding along with 1/2 cup crushed oreos. Add the mint extract and green food coloring to the remaining whipped cream.
- ASSEMBLY: Spoon some chocolate pudding into the bottom of each cup. Top with mint whipped cream then top each with the remaining chocolate pudding. Top with crushed oreos and gummy worms. Refrigerate until ready to serve.