These Mint Brownies are simply irresistible! Featuring a thick fudgy brownie topped with a creamy mint layer, then topped with a silky smooth chocolate layer, what’s not to love?
Chocolate Mint BrowniesIt’s no secret how much I love brownies. I’ve already shared recipes like my one-bowl cocoa brownies, these homemade chewy brownies, and decadent peanut butter caramel brownies. My fellow brownie lovers, I have the ultimate recipe for you! These chocolate mint brownies are not your average brownie recipe. They are made with a wonderfully chocolatey brownie base that’s topped with a smooth, creamy, and minty layer. They’re finished off with another layer of chocolate. If you love Andes chocolate mints, you’re going to love this mint brownie recipe! I add a little green food coloring to the mint layer — totally optional, but I think it makes these mint chocolate brownies even more fun. I love making them for a nice St. Patrick’s Day dessert, but you can honestly serve them all year long. On top of the mint? A silky, fudgy, ganache-like chocolate layer. Yum! These mint fudge brownies are rich and satisfying, and they will make all of the mint and chocolate aficionados in your life happy!
Why You’ll Love This Mint Brownie Recipe
- Packed with rich chocolate flavor
- Mint and chocolate pair together wonderfully
- Easy-to-find ingredients
- Perfect for parties
Key Ingredients to Make Mint Chocolate BrowniesYou’ll find the full list of ingredients on the recipe card below. In the meantime, here is a bit more information on everything you’ll need to make mint chocolate brownies!
- BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE – The base of these mint fudge brownies is, of course, some quality chocolate. I almost always opt for bittersweet.
- BUTTER – You’ll need butter for the brownie and mint layers.
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR – Also needed for the brownie layer! It will hold all of the other ingredients together to create your batter.
- EGGS – For the brownie layer. It also acts as a binder.
- SUGAR – All good dessert recipes feature a bit of the sweet stuff. Use granulated sugar for the brownie layer and powdered sugar for the creamy mint layer.
- VANILLA – To add a touch of earthy sweetness to your mint fudge brownies.
- CREAM CHEESE – This is the secret ingredient for the mint layer! The mint extract hides the tang, and you’re left with a light, creamy, and minty flavor.
- MINT EXTRACT – The key ingredient for the mint layer, of course! You only need a bit.
- GREEN FOOD COLORING – Again, this is optional, but the green color adds a bit of whimsy to the final results.
- SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS – Use sem-sweet chocolate chips for the final fudgy layer.
- HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM – The other ingredient for the silky smooth fudge topping for your mint brownie recipe.
Instructions to Make Mint Fudge BrowniesRECIPE PREP: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8×8-inch or 9×9-inch baking pan and set aside. MAKE THE BROWNIE LAYER: Place the bittersweet chocolate and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on High in 15-second intervals, stirring after each until the mixture is smooth and melted. Add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until fluffy. Incorporate the flour, salt, and chocolate mixture and mix until just combined. Spread into your prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool completely. MAKE THE MINT LAYER: While the brownie layer cools, make the mint layer. Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until smooth. Add the mint extract and the food coloring (if using), then slowly incorporate the powdered sugar and salt. Spread the mint filling over the brownie layer and place in the fridge to chill for 25-30 minutes. MAKE THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING: While your mint brownies chill, make the silky fudge topping. Add the chocolate chips and heavy cream to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High in 15-second intervals, stirring after each until it’s smooth and melted. Carefully spread the chocolate topping over the mint layer once it’s chilled. Return to the fridge for 25-30 minutes or until the chocolate is firm. Cut into squares and serve!
Many chefs swear by using milk instead of water in the brownie batter for super moist brownies. I chose to not use either — the results are a dense and compact brownie that is rich, fudgy, and chocolatey. Paired with the mint and a second layer of chocolate, you won’t have to worry about a dry or crumbly dessert.
Definitely! Once your brownies are completely cooled, place them in an airtight freezer-safe container in your freezer. When properly stored, this mint brownie recipe will keep for up to 2 months. Allow them to thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
The mint extract is the secret to the fresh and minty flavor of these mint brownies. That said, you can choose to omit it — you’ll end up with a cream cheese-flavored layer instead. You can also use different extracts if desired, like peppermint or cherry. Just keep in mind that if you do so, the flavor profile of this dessert will change.
While I’m usually one to make everything from scratch, you can use store-bought brownie mix instead of making your own. It’s a great option if you’re short on time!
More Brownie Recipes to Try
- BROWNIE LAYER
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- MINT LAYER
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 3/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 4 -6 drops green food coloring optional
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch baking pan, set aside.
- BROWNIE LAYER: In a small microwave safe bowl melt the bittersweet chocolate and butter in 15 second intervals stirring after each until smooth and melted. In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add in the flour, salt and chocolate mixture and mix just until combined. Spread into prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before spreading on the mint layer.
- MINT LAYER: In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Mix in the mint extract and food coloring if desired. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and salt. Spread over cooled brownie layer and chill for 25-30 mintues.
- CHOCOLATE TOPPING: in a small microwave safe bowl combine the chocolate chips and cream. Microwave in 15 second intervals stirring after each until smooth and melted. Spread carefully over the mint layer. Chill for 25-30 minutes or until chocolate is firm. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.