This Upside Down Pizza Casserole is filled with 3 meats, vegetables, and gooey cheese! Top with homemade or store bought pizza dough or even biscuits for the ultimate weeknight meal.
Upside Down Pizza Casserole
I’ve decided to quit trying to re-invent the wheel and give my brain a little break! So, I am going to be posting some old family favorites (you know the ones you grew up on or the ones out of church cookbooks!)
This is basically the easiest way to make a pizza! It doesn’t have to look pretty so don’t worry about your pizza dough skills (you can even cheat and use store bought if you prefer!)
So, I don’t know about you but I am so ready for school to start!! I can’t complain too much, this summer has been pretty good and has gone pretty fast but this past week has been rough!
We have been busier than usual and I think the kids are sensing it and us (the parents) are paying for it. The older 3 are getting bored and so that trickles down the line and soon I have 8 kids that are picking fights, arguing, you know….the usual bored kid stuff.
Even the baby has been grumpy this week and she is always in a good mood. So, I have been living off of survival mode and creating the easiest meals ever!
Cereal for dinner, no problem!!
Wait….what…. you want dinner tonight!!
Easy Pizza Casserole
Anyway, when I’m low on inspiration I usually reach for church cookbooks because I know my family will eat it and not complain. I usually make a few changes like sneaking in more vegetables and if I can make it homemade I usually try to.
You can make this pizza dough or buy it from the store. Homemade or store bought biscuits will work great too. There were even recipes using crescent roll dough too. So plenty of options when it comes to the crust.
Bottom line don’t think too hard about it and just use what you have on hand.
What to serve with Upside Down Pizza Casserole
- Simple side salad with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Steamed vegetables
- Skillet Garlic Green Beans
Watch our video on how to make Upside Down Pizza Casserole
Upside Down Pizza Casserole
- 1 pound (500g) lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 pound (250g) Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oz. (113g) sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (24oz)(680g) pasta sauce (pick your favorite)
- 1 (2.25oz)(63g) can sliced olives, drained
- 3 oz (83g) sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups (226g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound (454g) pizza dough (homemade or store bought) (pillsbury will work as well)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup (30g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, sausage, onion, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain off any fat. Stir in pasta sauce and olives. Spoon into a 9x13 baking dish and top with sliced pepperoni. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
- Lay pizza dough on top making sure to cover as much filling as possible. Pierce dough several times with a knife to let steam escape during cooking. Brush dough with olive oil.
- In a small bowl combine the Parmesan and Italian seasoning. Sprinkle over pizza dough. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.