This Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet has all the flavors of chicken parmesan without all the extra fuss. Plus nothing is fried so it is a healthier version as well!!
I have a love/hate relationship with chicken parmesan. Most of the time I order it and the crust is soggy and the chicken is dry. Not the most pleasant combo in the mouth!
I don’t like making it at home all that often because I am not big on frying foods. I know, I know…..but it makes such a mess and it isn’t the healthiest route to go.
But I love the flavors! What to do??!
So, anyway my husband and I were at a wedding a while back and they served chicken parmesan as a dinner choice. It reminded me of my love/hate relationship and so my quest for making it easier began!!
The first thing I was trying to remedy was the soggy crust, that I probably hate the most. Then I wanted to make it easier and less dishes. So, a one pot meal was the only solution, now how to execute it.
As you may have noticed I have been throwing out a few one pot meals. I love them!! Less clean up and quick meals. What’s not to love, right?!
I gave this dish a lot of thought and I mean a lot of thought because lets face it chicken parmesan can turn out really bad in a hurry and I did not want that to happen.
I had to decide how I wanted to do the crust and the only way for it to be crispy was to have it on the top. After that everything just fell into place.
So, while not exactly authentic, I would eat this any day of the week! It has all the flavors I love about chicken parmesan but a whole lot easier to get to the table! Win-Win!!
Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups dry rotini pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- In a large skillet or dutch oven heat the oil over medium to medium low heat. Add in the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook and brown chicken for 10 minutes or until juices run clear. Add in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring.
- Add in the rotini, broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil, oregano and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the Parmesan cheese and the bread crumbs, set aside.
- When the pasta is tender sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and then bread crumb mixture. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until golden and topping is crispy.