One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta is an easy 30-minute meal made with simple ingredients and packed full of flavor. This delicious sausage pasta skillet dish is the perfect recipe for a quick weeknight dinner!
Italian Sausage Pasta
I’m back with a new and easy one-pot meal! This mouthwatering, one-pot Italian sausage pasta recipe was actually inspired by my kiddos and their love for spaghetti. I changed the noodles and made a from-scratch, homemade sauce, but the kids loved it just the same! Made without any jarred ingredients and using the same skillet, this pasta with Italian sausage dish is quick, delicious, and even makes for easy cleanup.
Why You’ll Love This One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- Great for busy evenings
- 30 minute meal
- Only uses one pot so cleanup is a breeze!
- Everyone loves it
Flavor-Packed Pasta with Italian Sausage
As I mentioned, there is a lot of flavor packed into this sausage pasta skillet! My hubby’s favorite part is probably the Italian sausage — even though he prefers the hot Italian sausage, he didn’t complain much when I used the mild. I also added in a hefty dose of dried Italian seasoning, onion, and garlic. See, I told you we were going with simplicity here! But trust me, it doesn’t taste simple.
SAUSAGE: I used a pound of mild Italian sausage for this recipe, but you can always use a spicier version if preferred.
VEGGIES: I used a chopped onion, a can of crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste.
PASTA: Shell pasta is perfect for this recipe! I love how it engulfs some of the ingredients with each bite.
SEASONINGS: I used minced garlic and Italian seasoning pretty liberally throughout the recipe. And don’t forget your chicken broth or stock for the broth base!
CHEESE: The best part! I recommend getting lots of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
How to make One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta:
COOK THE SAUSAGE: In a large skillet, sauté the sausage with the onion until browned (about 10 minutes). Next, add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
ADD VEGGIES & SEASON: Now add in the tomatoes, broth, pasta, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Stir well, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is just tender. Remember to stir occasionally to prevent sticking!
STIR IN CHEESES: Stir in cheeses until melted and remove from heat. Sprinkle the sausage pasta skillet with extra mozzarella if desired.
Tips for One Pot Sausage Pasta
- Don’t overcook the pasta. As with any one pot pasta dish that has a decent amount of sauce — don’t overcook it! The pasta will continue to cook once it’s been removed from the heat and soak up liquid from the sauce. So, it’s best to cook it just until al dente and no more.
- Don’t plan for leftovers with this pasta with Italian sausage, or any other pasta dishes that are on the saucier side. The pasta just keeps soaking up the liquids, and the next day it is pretty mushy.
- Don’t hesitate to change it up. Feel free to change up the heat level to suit your needs. My husband likes it spicy, but my kids do not. So, I make it with the mild Italian sausage and he adds in red pepper flakes to his after he dishes up. Keeps everyone happy that way! 🙂
This one pot sausage pasta is great served with your favorite steamed veggie or a quick and simple side salad. These Garlic Cheddar Biscuits also go great with this meal!
Definitely! You can substitute veggie or gluten-free pasta, or even just pasta that is a different shape. I try to avoid larger, spaghetti-style noodles in one-pot meals just to make sure the one pot sausage pasta skillet doesn’t get tangled or overloaded.
Sure! You can make this one pot pasta with ground beef, ground pork, or ground chicken. Keep in mind that Italian sausage has seasonings in it, unlike the other meats I just mentioned. So, you will need to take that into consideration. You could add some additional Italian seasonings to taste to make it more flavorful.
You may also like to try:
- Sheet Pan BBQ Meatballs, Green Beans and Potatoes
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Seafood Bisque
- Creamy Turkey and Dumpling Soup
One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups shell pasta
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese + extra for topping if desired
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet brown the sausage with the onion until browned (about 10 minutes). Add in the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add in the tomatoes, broth, pasta, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Stir well then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is just tender. (stir occasionally to prevent sticking)
- Stir in cheeses until melted and remove from heat. Sprinkle with extra mozzarella if desired.
- Serve this with steamed veggies or a simple side salad. Can also serve with these Garlic Cheddar Biscuits