These Chicken and Cheese Taquitos are perfect for entertaining. Made with just 5 ingredients, they’re quick, easy, and oh-so tasty! Serve my chicken taquito recipe at your next party, game day celebration, or as a part of an at-home Mexican-inspired feast!
Chicken and Cheese Taquitos
The big game is coming up soon, so I have been thinking about game food. I mean who doesn’t, right?! Well, I guess if you’re watching the game because you actually like to, you probably aren’t as into the food as I am.
I know chicken and cheese taquitos have been made a million times over, but for good reason. I’m using a simple combination of rotisserie chicken (such a great shortcut), cream cheese, salsa, and taco seasoning. You don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients for great flavor, and these cream cheese chicken taquitos are proof.
They are the perfect game or party food in my opinion because you can do so many things with them. Like spicy food? Use extra hot salsa and jalapenos, change the flavor by adding in some green chiles, or make some different dipping sauces.
These baked chicken taquitos are also really easy to eat, making them another good option to serve as an appetizer. I usually pair them with Sheet Pan Nachos, Loaded Potato Wedges, and good old-fashioned chips and dip.
Why You’ll Love My Chicken Taquito Recipe
- Incredibly easy to make
- Baked not fried
- Great party food option
- Ready in under 30 minutes
Key Ingredients to Make Baked Chicken Taquitos
- CHICKEN – As mentioned, I’m using rotisserie chicken for my chicken taquito recipe. Why? Because it’s such a great time-saving hack! This is also a great dish for any leftover chicken you may have in the fridge.
- CREAM CHEESE – I’m using cream cheese instead of shredded options to get super creamy chicken taquitos. I love the flavor and texture! That said, you can feel free to use shredded cheddar, Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or Colby.
- FLOUR TORTILLAS – Flour tortillas have a softer texture than corn, which makes them easier to roll up for chicken and cheese taquitos. You can use corn if you’d like, though make sure to assemble with care so they don’t break.
- SALSA – The easiest way to add flavor! Don’t forget you can spice up the filling and use extra spicy salsa, incorporate some chopped jalapenos, or use green chiles instead. Use store-bought or make my easy Blender Salsa instead!
- TACO SEASONING – I use taco seasoning for baked chicken taquitos as it takes the guesswork out of deciding which dried spices to use. You can certainly create your own if you’d like!
Instructions to Make Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
RECIPE PREP: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
CREATE THE FILLING: Add the chicken, cream cheese, salsa, and taco seasoning to a large bowl and mix well to combine.
ASSEMBLE THE CREAM CHEESE CHICKEN TAQUITOS: Add about 2 tablespoons of filling down the center of each tortilla. Roll to close — make sure to wrap it tightly so nothing falls out! Repeat with all of the tortillas, then place on your baking sheet.
BAKE: Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake your chicken taquito recipe for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve hot and enjoy!
I place my chicken and cheese taquitos with the seam side down on the baking sheet before baking. The weight of the filling naturally keeps the edges together. Though, if you’re worried they will fall apart, a bit of water on the edges goes a long way. Otherwise, bake with a toothpick inserted in the middle!
You likely haven’t cooked them for long enough. Also, remember that this is a recipe for baked chicken taquitos, so they may not be as crispy as fried. You may consider frying instead if you want extra crunchy results.
Definitely! Make my chicken taquito recipe ahead of time to save time on the day of a party. Follow the instructions on the recipe card, but place the baking sheet in the freezer to flash-freeze them instead of baking. When they’re frozen solid, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag. You can bake directly from frozen, but you’ll have to add a few extra minutes of cooking time.
There are tons of possibilities! I personally think that my creamy chicken taquitos pair best with classic options like sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or chipotle mayo. You can also make some homemade sauces — my Fresh Peach Salsa and Homemade Guacamole are both delicious.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes To Try
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Quesadillas
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Tamale Pie
- Easy Taco Soup
- Mexican Casserole
Thanks so much for reading! Let me know what you think about these creamy chicken taquitos!
Chicken and Cheese Taquitos
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 10 6 inch flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, cream cheese, salsa and taco seasoning until well combined. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of filling and place down center of tortilla. Wrap up tightly and place on baking sheet seam side down. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.