This Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake is the perfect balance of invigorating citrus and sweet raspberry flavors! Lemon and raspberry baked into a moist baked good is the perfect way to start your morning and accompany your cup of coffee.
Why This Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake Recipe Is So Good
I absolutely love the typical cinnamon streusel kind of coffee cake, but this Lemon Raspberry version is such a yummy diversion from the norm. The citrus and fruity flavors are beautiful, and the cream cheese adds a subtle creaminess to the cake that mellows out the strength of the fruit.
As you can see from the abundance of pictures, I had a lot of fun decorating this coffee cake! I will confess, I made it slightly different when I took these photos. I put the raspberries on top before the cake was baked so they sunk to the bottom. Not a problem though, I just added more to the top and had more raspberry goodness.
That’s something to keep in mind as you’re making your cake. If you want to include more raspberries, fewer raspberries, or no raspberries at all, and instead add some blueberries – go right ahead! Some of the greatest baked goods come out of experimenting with your most inspired ideas.
More of My Favorite Coffee Cake Recipes
- Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping
- Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
Key Ingredients to make Lemon Coffee Cake
For the luxurious cream cheese filling, you’ll need your cream cheese, finely shredded lemon peel, sugar, and egg.
The rest of the batter is comprised of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk.
Finally, you’ll need fresh raspberries to place on top!
Instructions to Make Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake
Step 1: Preheat and prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease and flour a 9″ round (or square) baking pan. Set it aside for later use.
Step 2: Make Cream Cheese Filling
In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until it’s smooth and combined, and then add in the lemon peel and one egg. Beat until those ingredients are combined and then set this mixture aside.
Step 3: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Step 4: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, beat the remaining sugar and butter on medium speed until it’s combined. Add in the other 2 eggs and the vanilla, beat on low for one minute, and then beat on high for one minute. Now, alternate adding in the flour and the buttermilk, beating until just combined after each addition.
Step 5: Bake
Spoon half of the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it out into an even layer. Pour the cream cheese filling over the batter, spreading it to the edges. Carefully spoon the remaining batter over the top, also spreading to the edges. Bake your coffee cake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove. You can serve it warm and topped with powdered sugar and raspberries!
It’s not meant to taste like coffee, but it’s meant to complement the taste of coffee. You’re supposed to enjoy a sweet little baked good alongside your warm cup of coffee to balance the flavors and start your morning off with joy! (Or at least that’s what I think!)
Coffee cake can be enjoyed warm right out of the oven, rewarmed, at room temperature, or cooled. It’s entirely up to you!
I’d recommend storing it in an air-tight container for best preservation, but at the very least you should cover it with tin foil or saran wrap.
More Lemon and Raspberry Recipes To Enjoy
- Chocolate Fudge Raspberry Cake
- Raspberry Brownie Frozen Yogurt Dessert
- Raspberry Thumbprints
- Raspberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
- Lemon Bars
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
Thanks so much for reading! Sit down with a cup of coffee and enjoy this delicious treat. 🙂
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram for all my latest updates!
Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake
- 3 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9″ round or square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl beat the cream cheese and 1/4 cup of sugar on medium until smooth and combined. Add in the lemon peel and 1 egg and beat until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and the butter with a mixer on medium speed until combined. Add in the other 2 eggs and the vanilla. Beat on low for 1 minute then high for 1 minute. Now, alternating add in the flour and buttermilk beating just until combined after each addition.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread out into an even layer. Pour the cream cheese filling over the batter, spreading to the edges. Carefully spoon the remaining batter over the top, spreading to the edges. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove. May serve warm topped with powdered sugar and additional raspberries.