This Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is a juicy grilled chicken breast coated in a spicy buffalo sauce and topped with all the fixings of your dreams! This is a delicious and easy recipe that would make a great lunch or quick weeknight meal.
I’ll just start off by saying something bold: If you love hot wings you will definitely love this grilled spicy chicken sandwich recipe.
My husband keeps asking me to make it again, so this might end up on the menu every week this summer, and I’m okay with that! My kiddos even liked it because it’s not super spicy. Of course, if you want it to be spicier, I’ll tell you how you can tweak the buffalo sauce below!
We all know I love grilling, and this buffalo chicken grills up quickly! You can make it even quicker by cutting the chicken in half horizontally to make it thinner. I topped this buffalo grilled chicken sandwich with my creamy coleslaw, which truly took this sandwich to the next level! The cool crunch of the coleslaw paired with the heat of the buffalo chicken is divine! You don’t have to top yours with coleslaw if it’s not your thing, but I highly encourage it!
We eat a lot of chicken at our house because it’s inexpensive and tastes great with all sorts of flavors. Try out my Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza, Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Thighs, Beer Can Chicken (our favorite), and Creamy Tuscan Chicken.
Why You’ll Love This Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- 25 minutes start to finish!
- 6 ingredients + toppings
- Great for crowds
- No fuss recipe
- Utterly delicious
Ingredients to Make a Buffalo Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Chicken Breasts | Your base is four boneless and skinless chicken breasts. As I mentioned above, you can cut these breasts in half horizontally if you want smaller sizes or to make it grill quicker. Just keep an eye on them because you don’t want to overcook these pieces.
Buffalo Sauce | As for the buffalo sauce, you’ll need hot sauce (I use Frank’s Red Hot), butter, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Yes, that’s really it. If you want it spicier, add some cayenne pepper to the sauce before brushing it over the chicken.
Toppings | The toppings are where you can really make this buffalo grilled chicken sandwich your own! Everyone has their favorite things, whether it’s pickles, tomatoes, or onions. Here are a few of my recommendations:
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- Tomato Slices
- Creamy Coleslaw
Then all you have to do is pair it with your bun of choice! Voilá!
How to Make this Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Step 1: Preheat the grill
Preheat the grill to medium heat and make sure the grill is clean with well-oiled grates.
Step 2: Combine sauce ingredients and prep chicken
Combine the ingredients for the sauce and set aside. Place your chicken breasts on a cutting board and pound each breast with a meat mallet to flatten them slightly. Liberally cover the breasts with the sauce and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Grill
Place the chicken breasts on the preheated grill and cover. You’ll grill each breast for about 6 minutes on each side or until the center is no longer pink. You can also check the internal temperature – you’ll want a read of 170 degrees F.
Step 4: Lightly cook the buns
During the last 2-4 minutes of cooking, place your hamburger buns cut side down on the grill and cook slightly until they have a golden crisp.
Step 5: Assemble and enjoy!
Place a chicken breast on the bottom bun and layer the toppings of your choice on top! Cover it with the other half of the bun and repeat for the remaining chicken breasts! Serve and devour your grilled buffalo chicken sandwiches!
Frequently Asked Questions
Of course! You can double or even triple this recipe to feed to a larger group. If you need to work in batches, place the cooked chicken in a slow cooker on warm as you cook the rest. This will keep it warm without drying it out.
For best results, don’t assemble the sandwiches until you are ready to serve them. Otherwise, the buns will get incredibly soggy and won’t be edible. Instead, cook the chicken, let cool, and place it in a sealed container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until hot. I find that covering the chicken with a damp paper towel will keep it moist while it reheats.
What can I serve with a Buffalo Grilled Chicken Sandwich?
- You could serve grilled buffalo chicken sandwiches alongside Easy Roasted Potatoes for a bit of a french fries element with the meal!
- If you want something light and cool to balance out the heat of the buffalo sauce, you could always go for Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad.
- And I could never forget the classic, the beloved, the almighty: Stovetop Mac and Cheese.
Looking For Some More Great Recipes?
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup hot sauce I use Frank’s Red Hot
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup blue cheese dressing
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- 4 hamburger buns
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Make sure grill is clean and grates are well oiled.
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside. Place you chicken breasts on a cutting board and with a meat mallet pound out each breast to flatten slightly. Brush each breast liberally with the reserved sauce. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place on preheated grill and cover. Grill for about 6 minutes on each side or until center is no longer pink or you have an internal temperature of 170 degrees F.
- During the last 2-4 minutes of cooking place the hamburger buns cut side down on the grill and cook until lightly golden.
- ASSEMBLY: Place a chicken breast on the bottom bun and top with lettuce, creamy coleslaw, onion, tomato and 1 tablespoon blue cheese dressing. Cover with top 1/2 of bun. Repeat for remaining chicken breasts.