These are the easiest homemade BBQ meatballs ever! Perfectly seasoned ground beef meatballs topped with a homemade sweet and tangy BBQ sauce, all baked to perfection! Tender beefy meatballs that are perfect for any occasion!
Get ready to indulge in some of the tastiest homemade BBQ meatballs you’ll ever have. These meatballs are super easy to make, with a perfect blend of ground beef and spices that will leave your taste buds tingling with delight.
Tell Me More About These BBQ Meatballs:
- Don’t have to brown- just mix, shape, and bake…that is it!!
- Bakes in a sweet and savory homemade BBQ sauce that is equally easy to make.
- Make-ahead and Freezer-friendly
- Tender, moist, and perfectly seasoned
- Great for weeknight dinner, sandwiches, or as an appetizer
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
GROUND BEEF: You can use half ground beef and half ground pork if you prefer. Use 90% lean beef since we are not browning first.
EGGS AND QUICK OATS: Both of these help bind the meatballs together. I have always used oats in meatballs and meatloaf and love it! Plus, it keeps it gluten-free.
ONION, GARLIC POWDER, CHILI POWDER, SALT, PEPPER: These all flavor the meatballs.
MILK: Soaks with the oats to help bind the meatballs as well as keep them moist.
FOR THE BBQ SAUCE:
You will need ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Feel free to add cayenne pepper for a kick of heat.
How To Make BBQ Meatballs:
STEP 1: Combine the ground beef, onion, eggs, milk, oats, and seasonings in a large bowl. Mix just until combined. Shape into 20 large meatballs and place in a baking pan.
STEP 2: Combine all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce and mix thoroughly. Pour over the meatballs making sure to cover all.
STEP 3: Bake for 60 minutes or until the centers reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
You can freeze these before or after baking! BEFORE BAKING: Place formed meatballs on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Remove from baking sheet and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Add more baking time if baking from frozen. AFTER BAKING: Place completely cooled meatballs and sauce in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Place cooled meatballs and sauce in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Mix and shape the meatballs. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Pull from the refrigerator and top with sauce. You may need to add a few extra minutes to bake time.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Can toss the baked meatballs with their sauce in a large crockpot and keep them on the WARM setting.
- If you want to cook these meatballs in the crockpot, you MUST sear them first, or they will fall apart. It is also advised to make them a little smaller.
- Make the meatballs a little smaller if serving as an appetizer. Reduce cook time as well.
- Combine the meatball mixture with your hands and mix only until combined. This will prevent tough meatballs.
- A cookie dough scoop makes scooping and shaping the meatballs easier.
Get ready because I have several options for you!!
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Broccoli, Bacon, and Grape Salad
- Bacon Mashed Potatoes, Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, Easy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits, Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
- Cornbread Muffins, Buttermilk Cornbread, Rosemary Cornbread
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad
- Use them to make a meatball sandwich
The Easiest BBQ Meatballs
- 2 pounds (907g) lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- ½ small onion, minced or grated
- 1 cup (115g) quick cooking oats
- ½ cup (120ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ cups (355ml) ketchup
- ⅔ cup (125g) packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon each: onion powder, salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the ground beef, eggs, onion, oats, milk, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, and pepper with hands just until well combined. Shape into twenty 2" meatballs and place in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix together the BBQ sauce ingredients until well combined. Pour over meatballs making sure to cover each. Bake uncovered for 60 minutes or until internal temperature of 165℉.
- Can cut the brown sugar down to ½ cup for a less sweet BBQ sauce.
- Can add cayenne pepper to the BBQ sauce for heat.
- STORAGE: Store cooled meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.