These Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Thighs are a great alternative to traditional frying! Bread bone-in chicken thighs, then throw them in the oven to crisp up perfectly. They’re so easy to make — don’t forget to add the honey mustard sauce!
Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Thighs
My husband is always asking for fried chicken — always. As in, every time I ask what sounds good for supper, he gives me the same answer. At this point, I really don’t know why I even ask!
While I do like fried chicken, I don’t like the amount of work that it requires and the mess it can make. Plus, it isn’t the healthiest meal to eat on a regular basis.
That’s why I like to oven “fry” my chicken. It’s less messy, and it’s a healthier option!
Normally, I just coat chicken in seasoned flour and bake it (I teach you how in this post for sheet pan Parmesan chicken), but I often miss that thicker breading and crunch you get when you traditionally fry chicken. You know what I mean?
I also make a wonderful homemade honey mustard sauce to drizzle over the top of this crispy chicken thigh recipe. It’s completely optional, but totally delicious!
Why You’ll Love Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- No excess oil
- Crunchy and delicious
- Minimal ingredients
- Comes together in about an hour
Key Ingredients to Make This Crispy Chicken Thigh Recipe
- CHICKEN THIGHS – I’m using skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe.
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR – You’ll need flour to create the breading. All-purpose is easiest to find, but you can also use your preference.
- SALT – To taste.
- SEASONINGS – Use a combination of onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
- EGGS – To help the breading stick to the chicken thighs.
- MILK – Also needed in the breading process!
- CORNFLAKES – Here’s where that signature crispy crunch comes in. Use crushed cornflakes!
- OLIVE OIL – Combine the cereal with olive oil to help it stick, and to help get that golden brown color on the finished results.
- HONEY MUSTARD – Again, creating your own is optional, but I can’t recommend it enough! You’ll need mayonnaise, honey, and Dijon mustard to make it.
Instructions to Make Oven Fried Chicken Thighs
PREPARE THE DREDGING STATIONS: Add the flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika to a shallow dish. Combine the eggs and milk in another dish. Finally, add the crushed cornflakes and olive oil to a third dish.
BREAD THE CHICKEN: Dredge one chicken thigh in the flour mixture. Dip it into the egg wash and then into the cornflake mixture. Make sure to coat both sides of the chicken! Place it on a large baking sheet and repeat with the other thighs.
BAKE: Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
MAKE THE HONEY MUSTARD (Optional): If you want to make my quick honey mustard, simply combine the mayonnaise, honey, and Dijon mustard in a small bowl.
Serve your crispy oven baked chicken thighs with your favorite dipping sauces and enjoy!
What to Serve With Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Looking for serving suggestions for your breaded baked chicken thighs? Look no further!
- Skillet Garlic Green Beans
- A simple side salad made with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Easiest Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- Bacon Mashed Potatoes
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad
- Creamy Key Lime Fruit Salad
- Creamy Coleslaw
- And for dessert: No Bake Vanilla Cheesecake
It truly depends on your specific tastes and preferences, as well as how much time you have. I think that my breaded chicken thighs taste great when cooked in the oven — plus you don’t have to use a lot of excess oil.
If you don’t have time to bake your chicken for an hour, your best bet is to pan-fry it. This post has some tips for cooking chicken in a skillet!
You can absolutely get the same crispy and crunchy texture you achieve from frying if you use the oven. This breaded baked chicken thighs recipe is proof! The key is in the added olive oil in the breading, as well as the cornflakes. Both come together to bring you crispy oven baked chicken thighs that you won’t believe aren’t actually deep-fried!
You don’t have to for this crispy chicken thigh recipe! It’s perfectly fine to bake breaded chicken thighs uncovered.
I cook mine at 400 degrees F, as I find that a higher temperature really helps them crisp up perfectly. They’ll cook up a lot faster too!
More Chicken Recipes to Try
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Florentine Pasta Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Stew
- Poppy Seed Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Thanks so much for reading! Let me know what you think about this crispy oven fried chicken thighs recipe in the comments below!
Crispy Oven “Fried” Chicken Thighs
- 6 bone in skin on chicken thighs
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Season salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon of each: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1½ cups finely crushed cornflakes (I like to do this by placing in a resealable plastic bag and using a rolling pin to crush)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a shallow dish combine the flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. In a second shallow dish combine the eggs and milk. In a third shallow dish combine the crushed cornflakes and olive oil.
- Dredge one chicken thigh in the flour mixture coating all sides. Dip into the egg wash coating all sides. Dredge in the cornflake mixture coating all sides. Place on a large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken thighs. Bake for 45 minutes or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- OPTIONAL HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE: In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, honey and dijon mustard.
- If using a food processor to make your cornflake crumbs be careful not to process too fine.
- Panko breadcrumbs can be substituted for the cornflakes.
- Chicken can be soaked in buttermilk overnight.
- Can use cut up chicken pieces as well.
- Nutrition Facts: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the information shown is just an estimate. Nutrtion includes 1/6th of the honey mustard sauce.