This Five Cheese Lasagna will quickly become one of your family favorites. I used no boil noodles because I hate having the extra pot to wash just for boiling noodles.
And they always stick to the bottom of the pan or to each other. I end up just making more of a mess and getting frustrated. So, I decided to give no boil noodles a try and all problems solved!
I was always worried that no boil noodles wouldn’t cook completely, but no problems here! They were just as tender as the already boiled noodles. And the best part–no extra pot to wash, no sticking noodles, and I think it made the whole thing come together a little quicker. Winner in my books!
This lasagna also uses five different cheeses! Don’t worry it doesn’t make it complicated– just taste good. I used mozzarella, ricotta, cottage cheese (something my mom always put in lasagna), provolone and Parmasan cheese. If you don’t want all the cheese just cut some of it out, but beware it won’t be full of that cheesy goodness!
Five Cheese Lasagna
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 16 oz container cottage cheese
- 1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1 8 oz pkg sliced non smoked provolone cheese
- 1 pkg oven ready no boil lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven brown the Italian sausage, onion, and garlic. Drain any grease off. Add in the spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and simmer while preparing the rest of the lasagna.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and eggs.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and a large piece of foil. Set foil aside.
- Begin by smearing a small amount of meat sauce on the bottom of your baking dish. Place a single layer of noodles on top followed by 1/3 of the meat sauce and 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Top with a single layer of noodles, another 1/3 of the meat sauce, 1/3 of the cheese mixture and 6 slices of provolone cheese, repeat one more time.
- This step is optional- I don't like having only a few extra noodles so I place them on top of the last cheese layer which you would not normally do. They turn out fine but it is completely up to you if you want to do this.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cover with greased foil and place on a baking sheet to catch any spills. Bake for 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered. I sometimes broil mine to get the extra color and a little crunch on top (again optional) Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.